Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

creating a dial up connection in win xp 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

dooahhdoo

ISP
May 15, 2001
GB
I am having trouble creating a dial up connection on a windows xp machine.
Have run the Internet connection wizard (start > run > inetwiz), it goes through the motions asking for number to dial, username and password etc. On the last step 3of3 it asks for a name for that connection. Whatever I type it fails. I get the error "connection to XXX is not a valid name. The entry name must contain at least one character that is not a space and cannot begin with a period. Choose a different name". No matter what is inserted here it fails with the above error.

I have also tried start > control panel > network connections > create a new connection. The new connection wizard appears. It asks for network connection type (connect to the internet), setup my connection manually, the next step is to select how you want to connect to the internet. The only option that is available is "connect using a broadband connection" when I am trying to get it to dial using a 56k analog modem (device mangler shows it as installed and I have even tried a different modem and removing and re-installing the modems).

I have checked the microsoft knowledge base and it suggested deleteing the telephony key and repairing xp. Have done so but still the same.

Any help would be greatly appreciated on this one as I am stuck!

Well this is a new one to me. I deal with probably 20 dial up setups a week and I have never had that type of error the only thing that i could think of is if maybe you were logged in as something other than an administrator or user in winxp RAS is not supported. Maybe that will help doubtfull though. Let me know how it turns out.

Found the problem finally on a computingnet forum. Apparently it is caused by the installation of service pack 1. I followed the instructions given on support.microsoft.com article number 329441 (remove 2 registry keys) and re-booted and hey presto, the dial up connection returned!

One for the reference library I think!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back