Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a Data Model 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenFella

Programmer
Oct 23, 2001
CA
Is there any way that I can capture a data model showing the relationships between all the tables in SQL Server?

Or would I have to create the data model manually?

TIA

If the relationships are defined you can use Enterprise Manager to create a diagram.

You can also use Visio to create a database model. Visio has the added bonus of being able to create the model even f the relationships aren't defined in the database.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

Thanks for your quick response.

I have been looking in Enterprise Manager but can't find where I would go to create the diagram.

Any light you could shine would be greatly appreciated.

As well, can Visio generate the database model or would you just manually create the model?

Thanks again.

My apologies... I think I have found where I need to perform this in EM.

In enterprise manger, open the server, then open the database. Above tables you should see diagrams. Select diagrams, right click and click new diagram. When the blank diagram opens a wizzard should open. Check "Add related tables automatically" And change the number of levels to what ever you need. I usually just set it to 99 to make sure that I get everything. Then click through the rest of the wizzard.

Yes visio has a function to reverse engineer a database from it's tables, views and procedures. So you shouldn't have to do much by hand.

Denny

no problem.

Denny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back