Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a common SNMP database 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

adbonn

MIS
Apr 16, 2002
MT
Hi all

We are currently using the following applications to monitor our network environment:

Alcatel Omnivista
Nagios
HP Open view
MRTG

All, bar the Nagios, use SNMP to gather the data from the switches. Now, my problem is the following. How can I integrate, if possible, all the above applications and store the data in a common database, and then using a query tool e,g, Business Objects, create reports.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks

Adrian

To be honest, you have quite a big job on your hands I think. I assume that you want to gather data from each application and then be able to report on it.

I only know the HP OV (NNM) & MRTG parts of your solution, but they store data in completely different ways.

HP OV stores data in flat files (performance data), a Solid DB (performance & event data) and in a native Openview databasr (topology, event & object data).

You can export some of the native OV DB stuff with some command line tools (e.g. ovtopodump). The Solid DB can be accessed with an ODBC driver.

The MRTG data is all stored in its own flat file format. There may be some utilities to export this data, but I haven't looked around for them.

As I said, I don't know the other 2 products.

I think you would have create a number of home grown tools (e.g. perl scripts) to extract data and then massage it in to a database of your own.

It is a big job, but I guess it could be quite good fun if you have plenty of time and like to get your hands dirty with some scripting ! :)

HTH

Nigel Bowden

We have a product that we recently launched that collects information for reporting - we will include monitoring in a future release that will be available for the price of support. The user can use SNMP and/or WMI for interrogation and all the data is stored in a SQL db. A user can use our reports, or create their own against our db schema. We'll add reports as needed as part of maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back