Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a Cab file for use on a Win2k bootable cd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhogaj31

IS-IT--Management
Mar 11, 2003
GB
Hi

I have created a Windows 2000 bootable cd which I use to install Windows 2000 using the winnt.sif file on a floppy.

Problem is that if I am installing onto a machine ( e.g. Dell Optiplex GX270) which has an onboard "Intel" NIC, while installing W2k and trying to add it the machine to the domain it fails because it cannot find drivers for the on board Intel Nic.

I checked on the cd and found a "drivers.cab" file which I opened up to find contained drivers. So I guessed that I would have to add driver s to this cab file so that they would be picked up during the install.

Am I right, if so , I can't find a way of creating a Cab file with all those drivers in it. How do I do it??

I tried creating a (.zip) file using winzip but was unsure on what kind of compression to use as the original file was much smaller than the one I created. I was then going to rename the .zip to .cab .

Any help much appreciated.

Jat

Hi there are a number of good resources on

Looking for the best answers:
faq222-2244
Keeping your system clear of malware:
faq608-4650
Dont forget to post back with the eventual resolution.

Hi Bcastner

I have checked that site you suggested and I can see that it tells you how to set up the $OEM$ folder structure so that your extra files get put in the right places on the machine you are building.

It doesn't however tell you where to put your non standard nic drivers so that they are picked up when the Win2k install is taking place. Am I just missing something here, sorry if I am being thick.

Why is it that when I build a Win2k machine (using my boot cd) on a machine with a "3c90x" card it doesn't seem to have problem recognising the Nic during the install and I am left with a machine that is connected to the to the domain with out any extra config. Those "3c90x" drivers must be stored somewhere on the boot cd .

That is why I wouldlike to modify the area that holds the drivers on the boot cd .

Once again any help much appreciated.

Bcastner ,

Thanks for your advice but I still don't have the answer to my original query.

I think I can muddle through this if I can just find an application to repack all the files from the "driver.cab" file on the cd into a different "driver.cab" file but in one that includes my specific drivers.

I am sure that there are apps out ther just for creating cab files.

kind regards

Jat

Hi. Not that this would be helpful...But I just recently installed a 40 gig hard drive in my ibm pentium 2 pc. I like the "smart guy" that I am...forgot to make a back up. I tried to reinstall everything from the "hidden" reinstall file, but found anything "Microsoft registered" be it w2k or office xp 2003 or whatever, it is protected. Which means that if you made a "bootable disk" the needed .exe files are missing. So what "I" recommend and as I say..my opinion...burn a "direct" copy. I have 3 cd drives and it made it easy for me to burn copies of my registered software because I, for some ungodly reason, feel the need to keep adding memory to my machine. (install...dump, install....dump, lol) So I hope I gave you some bit of info..If not..Thanks for letting me vent.

The post from bcastner above contains the information you need BTW.

Cheers,

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back