Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a boxplot in Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDerosier

Programmer
Jan 5, 2003
US
I have a project at work that requires me to design a boxplot graph in Access - I have the form designed however the movement of the box isn't working the way I need it to. Does anyone have suggestions?

It is a statistical graph that shows how much of the data falls between the 25th and 75th percentile. the box is drawn between the numbers on a graph and everything inside the box is inbetween those two percentiles. I am not even sure it can be done in VBA but my boss doesn't want me to import files from other programs and has asked me to give it a try.

Not sure about Access, but you might be able to use Excel to do the graphing. Take a look at the Stock type chart, sub-type open-high-low-close. You would need to do your own math, but otherwise the display looks like what you described.

I tried looking for add-ins or something similar but can't find anything. I agree with Zathras; the stock charts are about as close as you'll get with something built-in. You'll have to figure out which series moves your whiskers and box like you want and use the quartile function to set their size.

Well I have the formulas for the box to move. This is my first application in Access, Now my issue is finding a procedure to call the record number of the percentile. I have a formula that finds the record number of the dataset that would be the 75th percentile but it doesn't return the value of the record. I know I need to use the find method but i am having a hard time with the coding. Any Suggestion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back