Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

creating a bar code

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhav23

Programmer
Jun 5, 2003
US
in my crytal report iam displaying the address.
based on this address i need to generate a bar code.
is it possible or not? if it is possible, please help me out.

Hi - all you really need is a true-type font for the bar code you need (code3of9, code128 etc.). These are readily available on the web, and once installed act like any other font in terms of size, color etc. Please note that most bar code readers use a termination character (typically an asterix) as the signal to the reader that the bar code has started and ended. You will probably need to use a formula and add an asterix immediately before and after the field in your report for it to scan correctly. Also be wary of 'freeware' bar code fonts - some wont print certain characters.

Hi madhav23,

I am using a font file named "C39HALF.TTF" for my bar-codes on a set of logistics reports.

You can make most text data appear in a bar-code as long as you have the "start-bit" and "stop-bit", which crystalreporting has refered to above as termination character).

I have successfully used the asterisk (*) character in my reports. To accomplish this you need to create a formula field which concatenates an asterisk before and after the data-value. Then when you insert this formula field, you set the field's font name to the "3 of 9 Barcode" font in your drop-down font listing (assuming you added the font file to your relevant systems' font folder earlier).

You may additionally play around with different font-size, character-spacing and alignment to get optimum results for your purpose. Also remember to check that your barcode-scanner can actually read the printed barcode.

HTH.

cheers,
DataLWalker

I am able to get the bar code print but unable to have a scanner read it?

This can be due to several things....

1. Font size
2. Print darkness (out printer has a setting for darkness) You can try printing to a laser printer and see if that make a difference.
3. Lack of the correct "stop\start" bit as mentioned above. (the * worked for me with 3 of 9 bar code) Note -- your concantenation should not include spaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back