Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a Backup, Tape Rotation? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg25

Technical User
May 30, 2001
US
I have been backing a server up for some time now
With one tape (very simple backup). And keeping
one months of backups around. I set it up to do
a full and then incremental For the rest of the week.

Now with the new server there is not enough space to
Put all the data on just one tape. Have never tried to set
this up. And I would greatly appreciate any advice. be for i do so.

Thanks Greg X-)

i believe you need to organise your media into pools one for full backups and one for incrementals. Then by setting the Overwrite protection period and Append properties on the media sets you can get the media to rotate and overwrite as required. example

2 media sets

1 Full backups. Set the overwrite protection period to 7 days so it can only be overwrirtten once a week and set the append to zero so it starts a fresh. if it needs more tapes it will pick up a scratch and add to that pool.

2 Incremental: if you want use one tape for all incremental set the append to 4 m,t,w,t. and opp to 3 so it wont get overwritten till monday. the opp is undated everytime its appened so 3 days from thursday is sun, ready to be written monday.

If you wanted to use different tapes for each incremental then thats a bit more complicated and ive got a cig to smoke and im getting bored. If you need anymore let me know, if you thing im taking from my bot, let me know, it is friday after all;)

Thanks for the repli
i will look into this more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back