Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CreateObject(<class>, <server>)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sifitz

Programmer
Feb 27, 2002
GB
Hi,

I have a custom made ActiveX EXE placed on the server that I call from client machines.

I can get a class to work fine for me (that is on any PC that I am logged into), but for any other user profiles, it fails.

Can anybody tell me where I may be going wrong?

Thanks,
Si

Further information:-

1. I have registered the DLL on the server (with regsvr32)

2. I have made the class visible over the network by placing a key the following place in the registry:-
&quot;HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W3SVC\Parameters\ADCLaunch\<componentname>&quot;

3. I have registered the CLSID on the clients. (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\<component>)

4. I can't find any registry information on the server relating to my user profile [afro]

The class must be registered on the machine on which the &quot;instantiater&quot; is running. I'll wager that the EXE, even though it may be stored on a server disk, is actually being run on the local machine. Forms/Controls Resizing/Tabbing Control
Compare Code (Text)
Generate Sort Class in VB or VBScript

I have got the code to work on a number of different machines so it appears that the class is registered. The problem is down to user profiles. It works for my user profile but nobody else's.

The EXE file has full permission for everybody to use it and the keys in the registry allow full permission to everybody.

I created the ActiveX EXE to return the error that occurs within the EXE. The error I get is:-
-2146893792 - Method '~' of object '~' failed

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Si [afro]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back