Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Created runtime package, where is my database?

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbola

Technical User
Feb 27, 2003
CA
A while ago I packaged an Access 2000 database (mdb) with my Access 2007 so that users without 2007 could use it.

I installed it on a workstation. He ran one of the functions I set up to import data from Excel.

On his workstation, I can see this data But when I open the original database, it is not there! Where did the data go? Did it install a new db and tables etc on his machine??? This was supposed to be a shared application.

I'm not an expert on this but I checked the package setup and can't find where there is an option to keep the base data tables. Help? please.

The issue you are having, I believe stems from the fact that you have your tables and application objects in one file. Is that correct?

If so you want to split the database. In versions prior to 2007 there is a wizard under Tools, Database Utilities, Database Utilities. The key point is to make sure the backend file ends up someplace everyone that will use the database can get to it all the time. This is what allows the data (tables) to be shared with everyone. Then you only need to give everyone the file with all the other objects or the Front End. This may mean creating a new package to use the new version of the file, although just replacing the MDB on machines where the runtime is installed will be just as effective.

If that is not your issue, I am guessing you imported your Excel data to a new file in the Front End and not the Back End. There are a number of ways to handle this so let us know if that is the issue along with some background information. The front end will have linked tables which are indicated by a little black arrow next to the icon. If you have tables without black arrows after importing from Excel, you have this problem assuming they were not there to start with.

A while ago I packaged an Access 2000 database (mdb) with my Access 2007 so that users without 2007 could use it.

Anyone with Access 2000 or later can use a Access 2000 file barring any security issues. Although any later version of the runtime should allow them to open it too.

Yes you are right in your assumptions. I do not see an mdb file on the user's workstation so I can't do this:
just replacing the MDB on machines where the runtime is installed will be just as effective

All I see is the runtime (accdr).

I don't know how to open the actual database tables, because I can't see them. I want to open it so I can copy the data to my development database, and then separate it as you said.

So your database is in 2007 format not 2000. Copy the ACCDR table to your 2007 system and rename it to a ACCDB extension. According to a file extension website I found with Google, that should allow you to open the database normally and see the tables etc.
Then assuming things work the same you could split your database into multiple ACCDB's and repackage it. Unfortunately, I don't have any real 2007 experience.

actually the database is 2000. I found the accdr file in the user's programs folder, renamed it to .mdb and copied it to the network share, and told him to use that.
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back