Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create /u01 etc for Oracle install on Solaris 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

dadragon

IS-IT--Management
May 29, 2001
IE
Hi all,
I have a spanky new SunFireV120 server here is the output of df -k
bash-2.03# df -k
Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 246466 73654 148166 34% /
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s6 4129290 1959399 2128599 48% /usr
/proc 0 0 0 0% /proc
fd 0 0 0 0% /dev/fd
mnttab 0 0 0 0% /etc/mnttab
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s5 4129290 41453 4046545 2% /var
swap 2872840 16 2872824 1% /var/run
swap 2872832 8 2872824 1% /tmp
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s4 2053605 2132 1989865 1% /opt
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7 22361943 9 22138315 1% /export/spare

I need to install Oracle 9i, I am a solaris newbie and come from a hpux backround. I know I have 8 slices and that I have free space in /export
I am afraid if I use format/partition etc. I will lose all the data in /export. How do I set up the filesystems and mount points required for Oracle???
I am more than a little confused!!!
Thanks in advance
Babula

Hi,

To install oracle, for best performance, you require to use raid and more than 1 hard disk. From your df -k output, I can see you only have 1 hard disk. Oracle installation doesnt require specific mount point like /u1. You can use any mount point you want that make sense for easy maintenance. If you want, you can install oracle in /export/spare. Make new directory in it. Is this production machine? If yes, then you have to consider many thing.

Or you can change the mount point for /export/spare. Unmount the /export/spare. Make directory you want the mount point and mount the disk under new mount point.

Let us know how you getting on.

regards,
feroz

from a data safety issue your redo logs HAVE to be on a seperate disk than your data. ideally you have about 7 disks, but to put the recovery files on the same disk as the data makes NO sense
I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Hi guys,
Thanks so much for the replies! Its great to get some feedback the Sun "discussion forums" are like a ghost town!!!

dbase77;
I have considered renameing /export as /u01 and mounting it there, but what about /export/home/users? Can I move that somewhere else?
Also I need to make /u02 /u03 etc. so a 22gb /u01 is not going to help me or am I wrong?
If I unmount /export and use format to split up the 22gb into smaller partitions, will that work or am I totally limited to sclice 0-7 and no more?
I am trying to grasp the fundamentals of disk managment here also :)
Someone suggested that I boot from the install media and do a manual layout, and a reinstall of the OS, is that my only option to create mount points for /u01 /u02 etc. eecckkk!!!

Jimbobpalmer;
I know that having oracle all on one disk is not a good idea but this is what I have to work with so.....
I have one active disk and another disk I want to keep empty to use as a mirror. I reckon if I keep this disk as a mirror, if my main disk dies etc. I have a mirror copy so I can recover :)

Thanks you both for your help, I really appreciate it :)
Babula

From what I can tell you have no data in /export/spare. The rest of /export is presumably on your root partition unless you have created a soft link somewhere

Check by cd'ing to /export and then call 'df -k .' this will list the space and name in the partition you are currently in.

If this is the case you can unmount /export/spare, remove it from /etc/vfstab, and reformat the space allocating it to slice 3 and 7 - slice 2 represents the whole disk and as such cannot be used (you're now down to 7 slices per disk!). This does not give you much leeway if you want a lot of partitions.

The alternative is to use a disk management suite (Veritas - pricey) or Sun Disksuite (Free). Both allow you to set up virtual partitions and would be required if you are going to be mirroring anyway.

For Disksuite you need an extra partition with a couple of cylinders (say partition 7) for the Disksuite state database.

For Veritas you require 1024 cyls free, and 2 spare slices (for public and private regions) if you are going to encapsulate the root disk.

If you're on a budget I'd go for Disksuite - the software is on the Solaris installation CDs. There is some very good documentation (pdf & html) at docs.sun.com - have a look at

If you have any queries about using Veritas or Disksuite I'm sure members here should be able to help.

P.S Mirroring using Disksuite does not preclude putting the logs on a different disk - just set up the logs on the second disk and don't mirror that partition. Use the equivalent space on the first disk for something non-critical.

Good Luck JB

Hi all
A big thanks for all the info and advice, have decided to reinstall os and change my partition table as this machine will be used for Oracle dbases almost exclusivley.
Julian, thanks for the disksuite info, I am sure I will be posting about that next :)
Again thanks to you all for the assistance
Babula

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back