Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create Table for Work Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

compucop

Technical User
Sep 24, 2002
US
Hi all,

I am trying to create a database that we can utilize to track employees (working rotating shifts) vacation, sick time.. etc..etc. I can't seem to find a place to start, I guess I need to make a table with the date, but how would i accomplish that. I would like any help with getting my tables started or ideas on how to start to accomplish this. I appreciate any responses. Thanks. I know about the calender control and probably will incorporate that also.

errm I'm afraid your probably not going to get a lot of help on this one.

The best thing to do is try to get yourself on a training course to learn the techniques involved in creating tables, queties etc. Or their are also a lot of tech yourself books out their that might help you. Perhaps go though some examples to learn how other people set out their tables and relationships.

sorcerer11, Thanks for the post. But I have experience. I have created several large DB's utilizing Access, SQL and MYSQL. What i need to do is reference a schedule and have to create a table to store who is working on any given date in the future.

compucop, does this mean you answered your own question? Well, give yourself a star!

I think what sorcerer refered to was this:
"I guess I need to make a table with the date, but how would i accomplish that."

And now you are saying you are an accomplished developer of databases?

Are you just listing what it is you need to do? A text editor might be more productive. If you want help, I would suggest posting questions about developing a normalized table structure, try "Access Tables and Relationships."

Mark P.
Providing Low Cost Powerful Point of Sale Solutions.

ah ok, I mis-understood, I thought your were asking how to create tables.

Probably best to sit down with good old pen and paper and work out first what data you wish to store. Then look at splitting that into various tables. For example you might like to have a employee table for basic information about each employee. A table to record the in/out of each person throughout the year. And seperate tables for sick and holidays, then link all of these to the employee table using an unique id for each employee.

Hope that helps.

sorcerer11, for some reason I just could not get started. That was my problem. I was able to create the table utilizing the current date and adding one date until a period of time. Believe it or not this was my hardest problem. I just could not figure how to get this started, I really was hoping somebody had done it before and could point me in the right direction. But I was able to get it going. I do appreciate your input and probably could have worded my post better. Hey Mark I don't know what your problem is, Maybe you should relax. Sorcerer11 thanks again for you input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back