Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create Sum in Business Objects and Drill Into that Sum

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaylorTot

Technical User
Dec 23, 2003
US
Hello,

It has been a while since I have used business objects, and need some help trying to meet a clients needs.

The client would like to sum multiple measures and then have the ability to drill into the values that were summed.

See example below:

Measure 1 = 10
Measure 2 = 20
Measure 3 = 30

They want one measure that totals all three:
Total Measure = 60

Then they want to click on that measure and show the detail of the three:
Measure 1 = 10
Measure 2 = 20
Measure 3 = 30

Can this be done in the Universe or does it have to be done at the report level?

We are using Bobj v. 12 and WEBI.

Thank you for your help.

Dear TT,

Did you get your answer by now? If not, here is one suggestion.

This is how it worked in version XI R2, not sure about 3.0 (which is what I assume you mean by version 12??).

Anyway, to drill in Webi, yes, the universe designer needs to make a change if it is not already drillable. Remember, you are really drilling on DIMENSIONS. There are two ways to make dimensions drillable: 1) Arrange the DIM objects in hierarchical hi-to-low order in the universe class. This will make them automatically drillable.

Say your three number instances are for Cities in a State. In the universe class you will have State ordered before City. So in your report, you are showing the summed-up city measure object values by State object. The user clicks State to drill to the city values (of course, first they click on the Drill button in Webi).

If the objects are already in the right order in the universe, then the user can automatically drill.

If the objects are not, and cannot be reordered in the universe for some reason, you can create a custom drill path inside the universe as well. Be careful if you go this route, because then you must re-create custom drill paths for all other default drill paths in the universe.

Hopefully your objects are correctly ordered to begin with, then you are all set!

Hope this helps.

I appreciate the response. Is it possible, if I create a total of 5 metrics in the universe to drill into that grand total in order to see what values the grand total was derived from. I guess my problem is, these are not dimensions they are measures that are being totalled. My client would like to see the detail of the measures that are being totalled.

Hi TT,

I was following you that these were measures. Sorry I was not too clear in my answer.

What I suggested was adding additional objects to your original query, so you wuld have City, State AND the measures. But you say you have no dimensions to include.

I do not know myself of anyway to drill JUST on measures alone - that is, where you have no dimensions, in one Webi report. Webi is built to drill on dimensions.

HOWEVER, there is an advanced technique where you can drill from report to report, and maybe that would work for you if you have the time to set it up (have not yet tried it myself). Actually it does not sound too difficult. Check out this hyperlink from ResultData company I found recently, which describes the process:

Take care.

By the way, here ia another quicker option.

Run the query and create two tabs - one with the summary, one with the detail. OK, it is not as neat, because it is much cooler to drill down....but that is an option if you are short on time.

Thank you for your response. I will look into both options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back