Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create "dummy" extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

joho0

IS-IT--Management
Jul 13, 2007
US
We have a BCM 400 and I need to setup a remote user with voicemail but I don't want to allocate a deskset here to do so. I created the voicemail account using extension 2320 but when I call that extension I get a fast busy. How do I setup an extension that users can call that will go straight to voicemail?

(Can you tell I'm not a telephony admin)

I use a Hunt Group DN then overflow it to voicemail and build a mailbox of the Hung Group DN.

hawks, thank you for your response. Can you please elaborate.

I have a hunt group (DN 2625) and I've added the users extension as a member (DN 2320). I've configured 'If busy' to Overflow and then I set the overflow mailbox to ???.

My questions...
What extension do I use for the overflow mailbox or do I have it all wrong?
What extension should other users dial to reach this guy...his DN or the hunt group DN?

I realize my questions sound ignorant and I they are. But if any of you need to recover a failed RAID array or buid a new VMware ESX server, I can help you with that. ;)

Is the DN 2320 a DID number or does the caller need to go though the Oper and be transfered to that number?

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

2320 is a DN with an assigned line and DID. I would like it so that anyone can call that extension or the associated DID and go directly to the users voicemail. I would like to do this without having to setup a deskset just for this user who's never going to be in the office.

It seems so simple...

You could try using one of the higher numbered Hunt Groups and change the DN on it to 2320 like say change 2699 to 2320 and see if that works.

Hmmm...it says the hunt group DN is read only. I can't change it or create a new one even.

under wizards, DN renumber might work.

Okay...I renumbered the hunt group DN using the DN renumbering wizard which worked. I then setup configured the hunt group DN (2320) to overflow to DN 2375 (voicemail). Once I added a member to the hunt group, everything worked.

A couple more questions and then I'll leave it alone...

Is there anyway to use a hunt group without adding any members? When I do this, I get a fast busy. I know it sounds counter-intuitive but I'd prefer to not burn two DNs (one for the hunt group and another for the member) getting this to work.

Is this the preferred method for enabling this? What I mean is...is there no other way to route a DN (with an assigned target line) directly to voicemail? It sounds like such a simple request.

Thanks again for all your help!

Not without a physical phone. You could creat a i2050 softphone and use the Keep alive feature and forward the phone to Vmail and that would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back