Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create PDF

Status
Not open for further replies.

hilbertl3

Technical User
Sep 22, 2004
US
Does anyone know how to create a pdf from an existing Excel or Word file using PL\SQL?

hilbertl

Hilbertl,

If your goal is to simply create a .pdf file from the contents of Excel or Word, then going through PL/SQL is an necessary step.

I recommend your downloading PDF995, which is a free download that converts anything into a .pdf file. Once you download the software, PDF995 becomes a printer choice along with your other printer choices. You simply output to the PDF995 "printer" and it converts the output to a .pdf file that you specify.

Let us know if this solution meets your need.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

One way to do this is using Oracle ExtProc. First, get a PDF generator like the earlier poster said. Then, configure your Oracle listener for extproc. Then, you must create a C or Java program at the operating system level that calls the PDF software and passes parameters necessary to generate a PDF file. Finally, write the PL/SQL code in your database that makes an extproc callout and invokes that Java or C program.
Cheers,

MarkRem
Author, Oracle Database 10g: From Nuts to Soup

Thank you for your help, but will your suggestions work on the conversion of an existing Excel file or Word file to a pdf, Mufasa and Mark?

H.

Hilbertl,

If you use the option that I describe, above, then yes, anything that you try to print to the "PDF995" printer on your printer list, then appears (WYSIWYG) in a .pdf file, regardless of when you create the Excel or Word file...that's why this option is so easy and trouble free.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

markrem,

"Then, you must create a C or Java program at the operating system level that calls the PDF software and passes parameters necessary to generate a PDF file."

When you say at the operating system level, do you mean on the Oracle database server (in our case Unix) or on the user's machine (in our case Windows 2000)?

hilbertl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back