Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

create pdf based on report? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

daviets

Programmer
Dec 5, 2001
US
I need to be able to create pdf files based on MS Access reports, the report itself is very complicated (its the test card for an Engine.) So any method of producing a pdf from vba based on the report, would be much more preferable than any reworking of the report.

Thanks

check out this thread:

thread703-65223 Hope this is ok. If not, just let me know.

Nick (Everton Rool OK!)

Just get Adobe Acrobat 5, and "print" the report to Acrobat.

First, Adobe Acrobat (the full version, not the reader) must be installed on the workstation. If your user selects from the printers (start, settings, printers in Win98) the Adobe Acrobat "printer" (acrobat distiller) BEFORE asking Access to print the report, the creation of the pdf file will be handled properly.

If this is something that will happen frequently, you might want to include some pop up message as part of the printing functions that remind the users to select the acrobat printer first.

Does anyone know of a way to give the users an easy way to select the destination printer from some code within Access (so the users' options and menus are very limited)?

It is possible to select the printer programmatically via VBA, as I've seen it done before, however I cannot provide any code. I'd look around on google and see if you find anything.

In theory, you can set the printer from code, but I've never had much luck doing it.

The other problem is having the user select the path/filename. There are some cheap (+/- $25) third party utilities that make it easy to send print jobs to PDF files (but you do need the full version of Acrobat installed).

Michael

Hi,
Try this utility from The Access Web. It set's Acrobat writer as the default printer, prints the report then sets the default printer back to whatever it was before you printed it. Very usefull.

You can set a reference to the distiller and work it from within Access, but I couldn't get that to work (although once I found this, I stopped trying)

Hope this helps... Kyle [pipe]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back