Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create ODBC to SQL Server 2000 as Read Only

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmmsi

MIS
Feb 28, 2003
US
One of the nicest things in Oracle 9i is the ability to create a read only ODBC connection to oracle, in environments where the connection should only be for querying and reporting.

Anybody know how to do this for SQL Server 2000? I can't see the option in any of the ODBC connections or wizzards.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

It's interesting that you are looking for this, because I need the same thing, except I need the ODBC connection to be writeable/editable.

I am using using SQL 7. Can anyone help us out?

Thanks!!!

Iradon,

Generally, when you create an ODBC connection, it is a read/write connection, as long as the user id you log on as has read/write permissions to your tables.

As for me, I am looking to diminish a users rights that they may have been granted in the application, to read only or less, with absolutely no option to write.

Oracle 9i just gives you a check box to make the connection read only, and even the schema owner can do anything using that connection. A little added security from the network folks, and the user can not create a new connection at all.

I'm just looking to do the same on the SQL Server 2000 side.

You may wish to try one with a user that has read/write table access and see if it works in SQL 7 (sorry, I never used it, so I can't provide much help here).

Check the SQL Server forums, forum183 and forum962.

Depending on the tools you are using you can set the ODBC for a specific user that has only read only rights. Or you can put the data into a read only recordset (ADO).

zemp

Thanks, zemp. I have looked in those forums, but, I will look again. lradon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back