Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create New User to Troubleshoot Failing Software Program with Minimal Background Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOKIDOG

Technical User
Apr 25, 2001
US
This could probably apply to any OS, but this machine uses XP. I have an answering machine program on my computer that is having issues. It's worked fine for a long time, but now is having trouble. It stops answering or announcing the calls. I've checked the hardware and can find no problems. Also completely removed it and the modem and drivers and reinstalled them. No hardware conflicts either. I was thinking of setting up a new user as a troubleshooter - one where there are minimal other programs running in the background. Is this a good idea? Suggestions about doing this would be appreciated. Please don't reply with 'stop the other processes one by one' as this is not an option - the problem does not happen often enough and is not repeatable easily - so this could take months!

I would use MSCONFIG and minimize the services that way. But you're talking two different things - a user and services. Most services aren't user dependent and start when windows starts. So cutting down on services would be global to all users. Maybe first start with a new user and don't mess with the services to see if it's just a user corruption or other issue.

Generally, the way I've done it is to turn off 50% of the services like the top 50% and see if the problem happens. If it still happens, I re-enable the top 50% and disable the bottom 50%. Then you can start narrowing it down by quarters etc. One time I had it down to four services and it turned out to be the last one I disabled. It took a while but it was satisfying to identify the exact cause.

Link
Don't turn off any CRUCIAL services as defined by this guy
Link

By the way, time to get rid of XP for security and other reasons!!!

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Thanks for those Links!

Anyway I realized after looking into it myself that services are not user dependent. I have nearly always been the sole user so I didn't know that they were so limited.

I did look into turning off the services bit. I did see how to do a 'clean boot' and restore to the original start. I also have software that can manage startups and I could try the 50 percent thing that way - and write it down (or screen capture). Could be a way to get rid of more of the startups that aren't necessary too.

I never have security issues - I'm behind a solid firewall (and have malware and virus software - and don't download much, etc.). Actually I've had less issues after it was no longer maintained (but haven't had problems for years really).

I'm going to get a new machine and will get the latest, but right now XP is needed for some legacy software.

XP rocks - best Microsoft OS ever and by far the fastest.

Everyone keeps saying "get rid of it because of security blah blah", but for power users who know what they're doing and know the OS inside out, security is no problem at all. I totally agree with your observations about updates too - no more updates = stability and no problems.

I use nothing but old systems (Server 2003 plus 2 XP systems) and haven't had any security issues in well over 15 years. I don't even have AV software installed because I know how to avoid those sorts of problems. It's just a matter of knowing what you're doing and security largely depends on how you use the computer and what you use it for. If I need Windows 7 or whatever for some reason, then I just fire up a virtual machine on the server. But my personal experience is that all the "newer" systems are bloatware and extremely slow when compared to XP.

Anyway, if reinstalling the program and drivers doesn't solve the problem, and you're sure that it's not a conflict with something else you've installed, then I would look at the hardware. I've had plenty of customers with similar software issues (as well as a few of my own over the years) that have turned out to be hardware related. It might surprise you that a lot of the time it's a faulty ethernet socket - usually an onboard one. For some reason, when NIC's fail, they can cause all kinds of strange problems which appear to be totally unrelated. Another common cause is a hard drive that "appears" to still be working fine, but is on the way out - you can usually hear the dreaded "knocking" in those cases.

Another tip, not so much related to software, but to boot issues, is a faulty USB device. Logitech wireless mouse/keyboard combos are famous for causing systems to boot straight to BIOS when the little USB receiver dies.

Let us know how you go with it.

Heaven doesn't want me, and Hell's afraid I'll take over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back