Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create New Login

Status
Not open for further replies.

muitai

MIS
Nov 6, 2002
US
when I tried to create New Login using windows authentication, Name: domain\username, I got the following error:

Microsoft SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLState: 42000)
Error 15401: Windows NT user or group 'domain\username' not found. check the name again.

Please advice

is your box on the same domain as the domain you are trying to create the login for
Can these 2 domains talk to each other??

“I sense many useless updates in you... Useless updates lead to defragmentation... Defragmentation leads to downtime...Downtime leads to suffering..Defragmentation is the path to the darkside.. DBCC INDEXDEFRAG and DBCC DBREINDEX are the force...May the force be with you" --

Check for typos in the name or domain. The login should be available from the DC, or the local machine. You can not add logins from other non-DC machines.

the box is not in the same domain, but when I create new login, I am able to select the domain and find the username from the drop down list, when I click OK, then I got the error message.

I think it has to do with the Domian trust. Check with your Networking Team what type of trust is set between the Domain. If the trust is set properly then Type or wroung Alias.
For example we are currenly in the process renaming Login Alias and seen similar issues.
Domain\JDoe to Domain\JDoe001. In this case the changes have to be synced into all domain. So the AD controller your SQL server is connected will reflect the changes.

Also verfiy the users correct Alias. an d try to add also verfiy this ID is already in the DB with differnet Alias.

Dr.Sql
Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back