Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create new Exchange administrator after origional was deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmac

MIS
Mar 9, 1999
US
Visit site
I am working with a client who's origional Exchange administrator left the company. They deleted their account and now we do not have access to several of their Exchange servers. Is there a way to change the Exchange administrator without reloading Exchange?

I think you may have a real problem. The Exchange directory is tied to the SID of the administrator's account. If you can, you should recover the User Names from and ERD disk, or the recovery directory (in NT4). However, you will loose any names and passwords added or changed since the last ERD was made. Your other option is to completely export and import the mailbox data, but I don't think you can do that without the admin account. MS used to be able to unlock the Exchange Directory, but refuses to do so now, for "security" reasons. Maybe you can find a 3rd party product.

I don't think the original poster would be too bothered, They may have found a solution after 1 month short of three years.

Chris.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back