Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create new address list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 19, 2002
GB
I'd like to create a new address list in the GAL to display distribution lists that are hidden.

I've found the ldap query to do this
ie (&(objectclass=Group)(msExchHideFromAddressLists=TRUE))
which works well when doing an LDAP query in AD Users and computers

When I plug this query into the address list and test it, it works fine. However when I test it with the "preview" button or use Outlook to see the list, the list is empty

Does anyone know, what i am doing wrong. Perhaps the query string needs a slight adjustment

Thanks in advance for any help given

The problem with troubleshooting is that sometimes it shoots back

Hmmm... I'm wondering if this is a native/mixed mode issue. Query based stuff doesn't tend to work as well in Mixed Mode as it does in Native Mode (in fact, many thing don't work at ALL in mixed mode when it comes to query based)

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

we are running in native mode

Um... No, i think you can't have an address list that has users and contacts, etc.. that are hidden from the address list. Unhide them and see if you can create a query based contact list that shows them.

If you create two users (user1 and user2), set the office to TESTER, hide one of them from the Exchange address list, and then create a query based list to show all users with TESTER in the office field. You will notice that the one that's hidden is just that... Hidden.

Why would you want a contact list of hidden distribution lists anyway?

point taken - the LDAP was configured to seek out only hidden groups

we have hundreds of SMTP groups hidden to keep the main GAL window "tidy". However it would be nice to present these to the "side" where our office distribution lists reside. (Ie under the "show names under" area in Outlook's Address book)

Thanks for your help

You can resolve that by changing those Distros back to show in the GAL and then changing the query for the GAL to have

Code:
(!(those distros))

in it in the custom query. Maybe too much work to do it one at a time. Change the extensionAttribute4 (or what ever attribute you choose) to something like DoNotShowInGal and then change the above to

Code:
(!(extensionAttribute4=DoNotShowInGal)){/code]

Doing so will include everything (which the GAL does now) except for the distros you change to have that attribute. 

Oh, you know what? You can't modify the Default Global Address List. You can however, disable it using Everyene DENY rights. Then you can make a new default global address list, and set it the way you would like.

Check out this MS article. It could be very helpful.

[URL unfurl="true"]http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822940/[/URL]

Steve
Systems Engineer

Wow, I really should review what I write before I submit it. There are a lot of typos in that last post!

Sorry.

MS Wireless Keyboard. What do you expect?

Steve
Systems Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back