Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create layer: transparent, still grey as export

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 26, 2007
Hello all, and thank you for letting me into the tek-tips forum. I am producing a logo in Adobe Photoshop 7, for export, to import to final cut pro 5 as a logo at the bottom of the screen.

This is all going well... i was able to create the logo i wanted and can import to FCP no problem, as well as setting the opacity in FCP the way i want it.

My issue is, I only want to see the text; not the layer. I chose transparent layer, but it still shows up as a gray box in the FCP video. The text is visible of course, but so is the layer.

Please tell me, how do i produce this text in Photoshop so that it is not evident when i import into the video program? Just text, in other words.

Thank you in advance for any help!

...this thread may help you out, look into PNG instead, or use the Title 3D plugin for vector ai files, it touches on making sure your alpha channel import is set to checkerboard too and not something else, also PS imports can be quite inefficient with some systems:

Andrew

Transparency will only apply to a static or animated gif/png image. The video software will import a rectangular image from Photoshop, transparency in the video will depend on how the video software renders the background. I have no exprience of the video software but if it supports layers it should have settings for transparent mask colours.

Keith

Thank you guys. Saving as a PNG worked. I have one more question now, the text looks fine when I stop Final Cut Pro and the screen is static, but with the video running it is blurry.

Is there something I can do to remedy this? Maybe a setting within PhotoShop before i export?

Thanks again very much.

...it's final cut pro engine and the nature of the programme, to see actual quality you need to render and run it on a TV monitor (NTSC/PAL)...

...NTSC is not a perfect format- and TVs are low resolution and fuzzy. If you’re a graphic artist used to creating crisp, clean pixel perfect graphics in Illustrator or Flash on your expensive LCD display, you’re in for a big surprise- NTSC (stands for Never The Same Color) is a challenging medium...

...DV codecs are not kind to titles or graphics. If your title edges still look nasty, try going to a bigger or bolder font, different background, put a drop shadow or slight glow on your titles. Keep checking on your external NTSC or PAL monitor if your project is slated for TV delivery. Watch TV and see what graphic styles look good on your TV set- and model those...

...If your project is NOT going to broadcast or DVD, there are ways to preserve the perfection of your titles and graphics...

1. In FCP, go to File>Export>Using Quicktime Conversion.

2. Click "Options"

3. Under the Video header, Click "Settings".

4. Set "Compression Type" to "Uncompressed 8 bit 4:2:2".

5. Click OK.

6. Now click "Settings" under the Sound header, and choose "Linear PCM" (or "Uncompressed" in versions previous to FCP 5), "Stereo L R", "48KHz". Under Linear PCM (or Uncompressed) settings, choose a sample size of 16 bits.

7. Now click OK, then OK again, then name your file and click "Save".

8. Bring this movie into DVDSP or iDVD and let those apps do the MPEG2 encoding to make your life simpler.

Try a one second test on a section of your project including titles or graphics with both "Current Setting" and my recommendations above. You will be amazed at the difference between the crappy torn-up DV codec and the perfect, Uncompressed codec. On a TV, the titles and graphics on your DVD will pop right off the screen!

...the above is courtesy of dvcreators.net...

Andrew

I believe you have to export the file with an alpha channel which acts as a mask in fcp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back