Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

create field in query (calculated) using using vba 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 6, 2002
US
Hi All,

I have a query that I have built a subquery off of, my problem is that I need to create a calculated field in my main query but It requires looping, if statements, etc. so I would like to create or update this new field in code. I don't think that I can just write the sql in code because I still need the query as the source for the subquery. Is it possible to do what I want using qrydefs and recordsets? If anyone has an example it would be greately appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

I don't think you have provided enough information. Do you understand that you can write a function that can be used as the source for a column in a query?

Duane
MS Access MVP
Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.

I did not realize you could do that, how would you execute or call it from the query?

Assuming a function that just averages two numbers:
Create a new module and enter:
Public Function AverageTwo(pdblA As Double, _
pdblB as Double) as Double
AverageTwo = (pdblA + pdblB)/2
End Function

If you have two numeric fields ([FldA] and [FldB]) in a query and want to average them, create a column in the query:
TheAverage:AverageTwo([FldA], [FldB])

Of course, functions can get much more complex. You can generally use a user-defined function in all the same places you would use an Access function.

Duane
MS Access MVP

Maybe I should clarify what I need to do. I have a user defined field in a query "LoadingTimeInMinutes: Int(DateDiff("n",[traileropened],Now())" which give me the total time a trailer has been in the process of loading - in minutes - this process could span several days. I now need to subrtact from that the time that there was no activity in the building (which is on Fri, Sat, and Sun nights after 6:30 PM - I know how to determine how many weekend nights there are between two dates but only by using vba, I need to have it in a query that can be used as the source for a subquery, can this be done???

Seems I have seen this question elsewhere... You need to figure out the logic and code it in the function like:

Your function would need to look something like:
Function LoadingTime(pdatStart as Date) as Double
Dim intWeeks as Integer
Dim intReturnMinutes as Integer
Dim intMinsToRemove as Integer
Dim intSubMinsInWeekend as Integer 'remove how many minutes
intSubMinsInWeekend = 16 * 60
intReturnMinutes = Int(DateDiff("n",pdatStart,Now())
intMinsToRemove = ((Date -pdatSart)\7) * intSubMinsInWeekend
'we have removed minutes from total week - weekends
'you need to figure out and remove the remainder
LoadingTime = intReturnMinutes - intMinsToRemove
End Function

Duane
MS Access MVP

Duane,

Thanks so much for that function it is much more elegant that the one I had written, the only thing that I still do not understand is how to have my query execute your function to populate a field when I run the query. Again, thanks so much for bearing with me on this. I'm learning!!!

In your query you would write:

SELECT LoadingTime(DateFieldInTable) From TblName

Leslie

As stated by Leslie create a new column in the grid:
LoadTime: LoadingTime([traileropened])
This assumes your TrailerOpened field will always have date value and never be null in the query.

Duane
MS Access MVP

I should also mention that I left out lots of code to remove additional minutes for partial weeks and days.

Duane
MS Access MVP

can this be done using the access query grid and if the source is another query?

please excuse my last post you answered so quickly and I posted after your answer. star for you thanks a million. I learned many new tricks today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back