Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create Excel type log sheet question,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chelsea7

Programmer
Aug 25, 2008
US
Hello,

I have a question about creating a log sheet. It looks like an Excel spreadsheet. Currently entries are handwritten n this sheet going across, then the entries continue on the next row once the entries reach the end of the page to the right. Now thing is, the dates are not consistent. Entries can be at any time (a week, 6 months, etc.) The user will enter the date in the grids. I just need the entries to go across the page then continue below once it reaches the end on the right. Here is an example;

10002 |4/15/10 | 5/15/10| .........................|12/15/10
|1/17/11| etc.
10003 11/19/2009 5/4/10 .......................

They will have gridlines. I thought Crosstab reports would be the answer but it does not do what I need it to do.

I have the queries set up. I just need to reports appearance to look like an Excel type logbook.

Yes, I tried a multi-column report. The problem is that it does not go across the page. Basically, this is based on a query. The user makes entries in a form daily. The dates are the dates when these entries were entered. So here is an example;

Zip_Code Date
10451 9/20/2010
11238 10/11/2010
10451 12/1/2010

etc..

I need the report to print this out like this;

Zip_Code Date
10451 9/20/2010 12/1/2010 ...etc

The idea is to replicate there current logbook that they write in manually. The entries go across similar to an excel speadsheet then at the end of the page, it continues on the next line directly below.

Can this be done in Access reports?

Look at faq701-3499

this will create records like
zip Dates
10451 9/20/2010 12/1/2010

Now dates will be a single field. If you put it in a long textbox and set the property to grow it will wrap. You need to set the format on your date to be mm/dd/yyyy so that all are the same length. You will propably need a proportional font like courier to get it all to line up, since it is one continous field.

That was actually not the FAQ I wanted, there is at least one more on the site that concatenates child records. I just cannot find it. It can be done in a query dynamically without all the temp tables. Check the faqs for "concatenate child records". If you cannot find it I can provide a solution.

The multi-column report that renders across then down should work. It might be necessary to set the Record Source of a main report to unique values of the zip code. Then use a multiple column subreport linked on the zip code.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Duane's suggestion will probably be better and easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back