Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CREATE DLLs FOOLING AROUND

Status
Not open for further replies.

castor2003

Programmer
Jul 5, 2003
LC
Just recently I got into the DLL creation business. I use them to bundle alot of public functions that I use. However, I keep getting dll files being created on its own accord with an [r1] and [r2] added to the filename portion of the created dll file. For example, I build my DLL project to create bappman.dll. I keep getting both bappman.dll and bappmanr1.dll being created even if I delete both files first. Is that indicative of a virus?

It depends how you create your DLLs.
[ol][li]Are they totally separate projects?[/li]
[li]Do you choose the "Regenerate component ID"[/li]
[li]Do "unregister" it before your recompile your DLL?[/li][ol]

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

1. It is one project that creates two dlls.
2. 'Regenerate Component ID' - I am not familiar with that term
3. Do you mean regsvr32/u? I thought that VFP was doing that automatically when you build the project.

One more thing I just noted. The new dlls being created is described in its Explorer properties as Microsoft Visual Foxpro RunTime Library and is larger is size than the dll which I meant to create.

I've never seen this myself... It is interesting; I'd like to know if you resolve why VFP seems to be duplicating it's runtime DLLs...

Castor2003

For example, I build my DLL project to create bappman.dll. I keep getting both bappman.dll and bappmanr1.dll being created even if I delete both files first.

Deleting a dll does not remove the entry in the registry.
regsvr32/u will.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

I actually suffered with that problem and never got it rectified, I simply ignored .dlls and continue to load up my .exe with functions and procedures. I did Unregister it as Mike suggested but the problem did not go away. I remember unregistering and deleting the dlls before re-BUILDing them at no avail. I will unearth my project and see how this plays out.

Mgagnon and Everyone

Has anyone had this experience before? Is it a VFP7 thing, that is what I have. I wonder whether castor has VFP7 as well.

TrueCode

I have VFP7.0 (sp1) with Windows XP, I cannot duplicate this problem.

Mike Gagnon

Are you saying that sp1 solves that problem. I am not sure if I have sp1. How do I know if I have already installed it. I have reloaded my system a couple of times not sure.

TrueCode

In the About form of VFP it indicates the service pack level.

Mike Gagnon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back