Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create dll error + an installing my program on a network question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ambra19

Programmer
Aug 5, 2002
CA
I am trying to create 3 dll's. I created my forms, modules, and classes.
The program now works. What I want to do is to create the dll's. I went to Add Project>ActiveX DLL and then I added the forms to this dll. I went to make the dll and got the following error:
"No creatable public component detected."
Why did this happen?
How can I fix this?

Secondly, do I need dll's? I have created a program that i want 3 PC's on a network to use. The database for this will be on a network (Q:) drive. Will transfering this folder which contains the VB program on it (these PC's do not have VB on them) and suing the simple .exe work and still allow the user's to access the database on the network drive? If I have dll's do I require anything
Any help is greatly appreciated.
ambra19

It sounds like you need an installer. The easy one is Package and Deployment wizard (installed with VB).

Go to Add-Ins|Add-In Manager and select P&DW, check Loaded. You will now find P&DW in your Add-Ins menu

It will produce a full installable package for you, done up as as .cab files if you wish

There are several alternatives:
Microsoft Installer :
Inno :

Do a search on this forum and forum222 for installers to get the lowdown

'People who live in windowed environments shouldn't cast pointers.'

I just realised (deja vu) I answered this question for you before! thread222-328706.

If neither of these answers work can you let me know?

Thanks Johnwm,
My main concern is whether I need the dll's as i wasn't able to create them. Will the Installer create the dll's for me?

Which DLLs are you using in your program? P&DW should include any that you use normally.

If you want to write your own ActiveX DLLs then write them first, compile them, register them on your dev machine then use them in your program as required. Your P&DW will then pick up these dependencies when it runs to create the disytributable package

Johnwm,

As I said above, I created my forms and classes (+BODT classes). So, in the project explorer window (i believe that's the name, i am not in front of my home computer right now) there was a folder called forms, with the forms, a folder classes etc.
I then added a project and selected ActiveX DLL. I then took the forms and put them into this first DLL which I called Forms dll. I tried to compile them and I received the error I mentioned above:
"No creatable public component detected."
That is why I am confused.
I appreciate your help.
thanks.
ambra10

I am confused as to why you want to put your forms (? whole project) into DLLs. An DLL (Dynamic Link Library) usually contains library code which performs functions that you want to encapsulate either for re-use or to isolate functionality. It doesn't usually include a visual interface.

Keep your forms and interfaces in your exe and your re-usable code in DLLs.

Make the DLLs first, then reference them in your project. Compile your project (Make .exe) then use P&DW to make the installation package.
Copy the installation package complete to your other machines and run setup from the installation package.

That's it!

P.S is this the same project you were asking about in thread222-328706 last August?

Thanks again Johnwm.
I realized that I don't need dll's. I thought i needed them from a prevoius school project example. Thanks for your help and patience.
Regards,
ambra19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back