Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create Different Views based on Folders within a Document Library

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMcElroy

MIS
Jul 17, 2008
US
I have a document library that has a folder within it. I usually do not go the folder route, but this one warranted it. So I want the main document library to have the All documents view as the default, but I want the folder to have a different default view. Is this possible?

When you click on a folder within a document library, the url has the view that is being utilized. Could this be set there?

Not sure what you mean, but try this.

Create two views, one to show items without folders, and the other to show items inside folders.

You will find this setting when you edit or create a new view. it is towards the bottom and it's called Folders.

Jovi

That's not what I am trying to accomplish. I will try to explain it better. I have a library with a lot of documents in it, so I created folders for past years to kind of archive them. So there are folders for 2003, 2004, 2005, etc. and the current 2008 documents are not in folders. I am wondering if it is posisble to have one view for the library when you are viewing the 2008 documents and a different default view when you click on one of the folders to view the archived documents.
Everything that I have found says that no matter if you are in the main library or in a folder within that library, they all inherit the same default view and I haven't been able to find a way around that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back