Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create Catalog

Status
Not open for further replies.

aggregate

Programmer
Oct 2, 2003
US
To start off with I was given Cognos to install on a server and start creating catalog. I'm flying be the seat of my pants. So far everything has been working fine with the sample databases. Now I'm trying to create a catalog and dead in the water. Any suggustions on books that will help the learning curve. Thanks in advance

Environment
Windows 2000 SP3, MS-SQL 2000 SP3, IIS5.0, Cognos 7.1

Problem

Selected new catalog entered the following
Logical Name: ENVOY
Provider:SQLOLEDB
Datasource: AM-000-067 (Server Name)
Provider String: ENVOY (Name of DB in SQL)

When I test I get the following

Error number -258:

DMS-E-GENERAL, A general exception has occurred during operation 'attach direct'.
DMS-E-RDS_OLEDB, The OLE DB provider has returned the following error:
HRESULT: DB_E_BADINITSTRING

aggregate,
Rather than initiate the settings in impromptu, set up the data source in Windows (Start->Settings->Control Panel->Adminstrative Tools->Data Sources (ODBC)) and confirm connection to the database. Then, in impromptu, all you need to do is select the database from the drop down list.
lex

"Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana."

After looking at the databases listed I came to that conclusion and worked. What is the purpose of the MS SQL OLE database option then?

You can use OLE DB without creating an ODBC connection.

Did you specify a "Provider String" in the database definition?

For example:

Provider: SQLOLEDB
Data Source: databaseservername
Provider String: Initial Catalog=databasename

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back