Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create bootable CD-RW for AIX 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wasserl

Programmer
Jul 2, 2001
US
Does anyone know of a way to take a system image (from mksysb tape) and put it on a CDROM and boot from this CD?

Well, the CD burner we have is on a PC, not on the AIX. I was wondering if you could somehow make an image with mksysb and put it on a CD some other way.

You would do it by using "dd" to copy /dev/hd5 to a file, then puting that file on the beginning of the CD, but I'd not trust its usability.

Bill.

Use mkcd as bjverzal mentioned. There is an option (-I) that will output the iso images as files named cd_image_123456.vol1...vol2...vol3, etc. instead of burning them to the writer. (which is a good thing, since I guess there isn't one attached to the RISC box). Refer to the man pages for mkcd if you are using the command line. If you prefer SMIT, use the fastpath 'smitty mkcd'.
Then you can transfer them to the PC (FTP?, SAMBA share?) and burn them with whatever software you are using. I've booted from and restored from images created this way a few times without any problems. BTW, if you use FTP to transfer the images, make sure you transfer them as BINARY and not ASCII. Good Luck!

Unfortunately we are using AIX 4.1.5r2 and mkcd is not available. Is there a way for me to download this tool or something sililar?

Good question. I got the cdrtools-0.1.10.23 package from
the Bull site ( This package has a minimum requirement of AIX/V4.3.3. mkisofs source code is available from many places. freshmeat.net would be a good place to look.

Hello,
No nothing is available for AIX 4.1.5 that could is out of support as far as IBM is concern. I do not think anyone whould write tool for that old level code. The latest one is aix 4.3.3. sorry there is no way to burn CD at AIX 4.1.5..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back