Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create an RFP

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgr430

Technical User
Oct 1, 2003
US
Hi,

Sorry for the double post. Does anyone know what is an RFP and how to create one? Is it just like any other report with a cover page? Thank you!

terry

There may be more than one acronymn for RFP. But if you're a business it usually means Request For Proposal.

In general, it is a form that you have a prospective client fill out, so that your company can quote a proposed selling price for your product or service, based on the information the prospective client fills out.

That may seem straight forward enough, but the process of creating an effective RFP is actually pretty tricky.

For a company to respond to a RFP, the form has to be submitted to the company. That usally means that it has to be written well enough so that the prospective client actually finishes the form and submits it (whether they submit it via the internet or the postal service).

How you word the form depends primarily on the company's target market, their dependence on RFPs, the sales force, and their attitude towards (generally unsolicited) clients.

Steve

You're right Steve. It is a Request For a Proposal or quotation. I'm trying to build a database for a non profit organization so I am trying to determine if they should build the software in house, or get a site liscence for ACCESS or any other kind of database software.

I know that there are other choices than ACCESS theres ORACLE, theres PERL (I think) DBII etc....

One question, in a case where I am working for a company and I am trying to evaluate different software packages, who is the client? Is the client the software vendor or me? Thanks for your reply!

Terry

When we were looking at our new software program we were the clients because we were purchasing something from them.

Also, to give you an idea of how intricate an RFP can get, the one we received from the company i just spoke of filled a 3" binder...

There are a couple databases out there that i have heard mention of - Informix and SQL. We are on an Oracle database here, but a lot of our departments also use Access. (i don't know if it was just in regard to the application we bought from the software company i mentioned above, but most of their client base that was on Informix was in the process of changing over to Oracle... I still have a lot to learn about databases, so i can not speak for or against any; but i thought i would mention that in case it was not a software specific issue.)

... always in a state of [ponder] ... inspiring to some day experience [idea] ...

I'm no database expert either. I'm doing this project where I have to create a system for a call center type of place and I am looking at some ERPs because they want more than one thing.

The have these documents on their website and they want their on call staff to be able to fax these documents to the callers. I have to find out how they are stored and under what server etc.

Thanks for you help.

Terry

You might try the Automation Suite from a company called Pragmatech. We use it in my office and it seems to work well. It's an access based program, but stylized in a way that makes dynamic use of a static knowledge base fairly simple. It will, however, take several hours to key in (or cut and paste) your "stock" answers from Word or some other program.

Thanks Kings,
Do you work at a helpdesk? I have a few different things that the client is looking for. He also wants to create some kind of knowledge base where the online staff can search to help the callers. I will definately look into that program you mentioned PRAGMATECH. Thanks again!

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back