Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create an Automated Paging System with IP Office

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazzieb

IS-IT--Management
Jan 21, 2009
ZA
Hi There

I am trying to find out if it would be possible, using VMPro or ACCS, or both, to create a "Paging" system that automatically dials a paging short code and plays an audio file to a page group.

We do not have a company intercom system for emergencies/evacuations, so I would like to use the IP Office, VMPro and ACCS. Running IP Office Server Edition 10.

I can create paging groups and dial them manually, but that defeats the purpose of an evacuation. I would like to dial a number/shortcode that activates a script on ACCS/VMPro and plays an emergency message over the page groups.

Has anyone done something like this? Is it even possible?

Kind regards
BazzieB

We do not have a company intercom system for emergencies/evacuations

You need one, one that's designed for the job. Using the system is likely illegal as it's not rated as such, or at best you are just running a high risk of getting sued when someone is hurt (or worse) when someone makes a config change that breaks it or it simply doesn't work due to issues or something else....seriously don't do it :)

nte-transmall.gif

We as a company install evac systems on cruise ships etc, so we know what we're talking about (this is not an advert, we don't want any business from this) :)

nte-transmall.gif

But if you still want it (to announce that the lunch bus has arrived..) I would go for the 'whisper' action in VM pro.

But, I haven't tested it...

You really shouldn't offer any advice under these circumstances, stating it's for something else still allows it to be done, and cheapskates will...at risk to others. You are potentially party to something you really don't want to be part of, maybe not legally but party non the less....

nte-transmall.gif

Hi there

I was at an AVAYA Engage Conference in Dubai and there was a company at the conference doing this, except with an external device routing audio through the IPO to the phones, making it a company wide Paging system. I just want to do it without having to buy an external device, but with all the AVAYA systems I have. Instead of having a couple of speakers placed at random points across a company, you can have every employee have their own personal speaker on their desk. Even if a couple of phones didn't work, there are still hundreds of others around them. Don't see the downside. But I appreciate the advice :).

@Okkie26, would I be able to dial a Paging short code and play an announcement with Whisper?

What if the "emergency" involves a power cut, even if UPS'd what if that's effected, no evac/warning at all then.
Proper systems have redundant everything, the IPO doesn't....there are other reasons obviously :)

nte-transmall.gif

The biggest down side would probably be the 64 station conferencing limitation, unless you are on a smaller site. It also can be canceled by any user. It can be done. It is a bit of tricky programming thing. Post dial is the key. But as stated. Not a good idea for emergency/evacuation. A Viking DNA-510 is what we use for emergency pages. Dial an extension, press the desired message number, plays a pre-recorded message.

Dermis and feline can be divorced by manifold methods.*
*(Disclaimer for all advise given)--'Version Dependent'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back