Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create Access 2007 custom menu bar? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmcgreevy

Programmer
Mar 20, 2009
US
After much searching(threads here, Microsoft.com, MSDN, and Google), I have not been able to get a straight answer to this question:

Is it possible, in Access 2007, to create custom menus which are part of the open form? I am not asking about creating a ribbon, popup bar, etc. Just a plain old menu system like I would in VB or VFP, which is part of the form.

pmcgreevy

How are ya pmcgreevy . . .

I've been searching and researching this same problem since 2007 hit the street. Todate, [blue]my results are the same as yours![/blue]

When I decided it couldn't be done I ammended my service contract with a warning that [red]the contract will be fully voided if 2007 is installed without my permission.[/red] To be sure, voiding the contract is not directly related to the menubar/toolbar issue we seek ... [red]but to the many problems 2007 already has![/red] This version is turning out to be like [blue]Windows Me[/blue] ... [red]a diaster![/red]

If my clients want to upgrade I'll allow them to go as far as XP (which has its own problems but manageable), but no farther.

Wish I had better news. [sad]

[blue]Your Thoughts? . . .[/blue]

See Ya! . . . . . .

Be sure to see thread181-473997 [blue]Worthy Reading![/blue] [thumbsup2]
Also faq181-2886 [blue]Worthy Reading![/blue] [thumbsup2]

AceMan,

I finally found it in writing on Microsofts MSDN page.

The custom menus have been 'REPLACED' by the Ribbon Menu sytem. That word 'REPLACED' was used by Microsoft MSDN.

This means that the ability to create them in A2007 is gone.

The only way to do it, is to create your menus in A2003 or before and add this menu system to your A2007 database.

The problem there is, whenever you want to add something to the menu system, you have to make the change in the older version of Access and replace the current one in your database.

Personally, I think this was the height of ignorance on Microsoft's part(ie Bill Gates)!

Another problem is, these custom menus are scoped to the database, not a single form. So, when you create one, you can replace the ribbon menu in A2007 with your custom menu system, but it is not part of the form.

I am currently working on trying to emulate the old menu system with a custom ribbon menu. According to what I read today, the custom ribbon menu can be scoped to either the application or to individual forms, which is what I need. When I close a form, I want it's ribbon menu to go away. I'll design a different one for the next form. Or....I may just scope it to the database and go from there.

But I think making it part of a master form would prove to be more convenient.

The reason I want it on a master form is that I need to hide the Access 2007 menus from the users. So, create a master form that calls everything else from it's menu.

If you need more on this, search MSDN. I'd give you the URL, but I am not at work now.

Good Luck!

Culleoka(Pat)

Creating the ribbons is really easy, all of the databases I create now use them and yes each 'ribbon' can be tied to an individual form.

Using the 'Ribbon Name' setting on each form allows you to specify a different ribbon for that form, or a master ribbon that you have created can be attached to multiple forms. Also using a bit of code can allow you to turn some of the ribbons buttons off or on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back