Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create a view in DEV and need to access data in production

Status
Not open for further replies.

LinPro

Programmer
Jun 25, 2003
US
Hi

I have created a view in Dev database and used it in CR - which works fine. However, I want to see the production data in this report without putting the view in production. Can this be done????

Oracle 8i, CR 8.5. Using native drivers.

Linpro

I am not aware of any way to do this since the code has to run on the production server. I will be watching this to see if someone knows how to do. Sure would come in handy for bypassing security.

You have two easy options:[ol][li]Change the database that your Oracle service name points to[/li][li]Create a 'production' service name and Set Location of the report to the new production service name.[/li][/ol]

~Kurt

cute, Pluck. I dont think that was the idea.

I am not able to upload the views to production - because there is a standard as to who touches it not because there is security reason.

I just need to see what the report will look like using production data.

Linpro

thanks Kurt

That will not work - because the view is created in developement. If I change the database to the production database, then I can use the view.

Linpro

Sorry LinPro, I guess I didn't read the question thoroughly enough. Even though the View is compiled in Dev, you might be able to point it to the Production DB tables using database linking as long as you have rights to the database.

Within a SP you might, but here's a cheat I use for this:

Copy the SQL from the View.

Create a new report and use an ADO connection and paste the SQL in.

It's not a good long term solution, but if you're testing data it works well.

-k

How do you use an ADO connection?

What is the procedure to doing it? I have never use that - if you can help by explaining - it would be very helpful.

Thanks

Linpro

I don't have 8.5 here, but go under More Data Sources (something like that) and select additional data sources, point to your ODBC connection and say add.

It will prompt and allow you to paste in SQL which is passed to the database. An often overlooked means to buidl a quick ad hoc report in CR 8.5 from existing or custom SQL.

CR 9 handles this better, but CR 8.5 does it too.

-k

do you do this with a new report or an existing report.

You can try it with an existing report by using Database->Set Location

Otherwise use the steps outlined above.

-k

great.

I got to the set location and selected more data source, however, I saw a lot of data sources, but I didn't see ODBC.

Did I miss a step?

Hello K,

I didn't get a reponse for the last question. Did I miss something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back