Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create a user and allow them to install/update software

Status
Not open for further replies.

wettek

MIS
Mar 16, 2012
US
I'm a Windows admin, trying to create a user account on Solaris 5.10. The user needs to be able to install some software and update some other software.

I think I can create the user account with the following command:
Code:
useradd -d /export/home/tempRoot -m -c "tempRoot" tempRoot

I think I want to allow the user to use "su", but I don't know how to do that. What is the best way to grant the user his required rights?

Thanks.

Look into 'sudo' which allows root to grant certain privileges to other users, allowing them to install software and carry out other 'root-related' tasks. That said, software such as Oracle require the creation of an oracle user in the dba group in order to install the software.

I think you may be trying to create a root-equivalent account (with a UID of zero), which is something of a no-no in the Solaris and other *nix world for security reasons, and which is why sudo was created.

The internet - allowing those who don't know what they're talking about to have their say.

Yes. You said initially you are running Solaris 5.10 which is Solaris 10, so you can use RBAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back