Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create a test database ???? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleboeuf

Programmer
May 2, 2001
CA
Hi everyone,

I'm new to Oracle(8i) and i want to copy my database to a new one were i can do tests. Someone can tell me how i can do that ????

thx Jean-Paul Leboeuf

jleboeuf@iquebec.com

More information

New server? - if so - same platform?

How big is your PROD database?

How many schemas do you got in the PROD database?

(Depending of your reply, there is diff. possibilities). Regards
Allan
! If you can't prove it - don't bother try to teach me !

hiiiiiii all
i have pIII i ghz,128 mb ram,win nt and also oracle 8i installed.i want to install oracle 9i also.will there be any problem installing or there will be any conflict.plz guide me

Hi Koushikc15

You wrote Win NT – I guess it is Win NT 4.0 (Workstation or server?). And I guess it’s for yourself because your hardware is small.

If you ask Oracle, then they answer – ‘Oracle 9i is certified to Windows 2K and above’ – but you do not need to follow these roles.

You got some “small” conflicts installing Oracle 9i - just create a new home directory during installation and a new Service Name(SID) and then you need to use another port for the listener or use only 9i listener for both instances.

However you got a problem with RAM.

Win NT 4.0 does not have a LRU list (Last Recent Used) on items in RAM.

When Win NT needs a free ram for a resource, it just take the first ram item in memory and put it in the Swapfile – and use the memory to the new item. And because Win NT does not have a LRU list, it constant swaps items in and out of memory, because it probable takes active items and swaps.

Until Oracle 8.0.x Oracle recommends minimum 128 Mb ram

From Oracle 8i – Oracle recommends minimum 256 Mb ram.

Now you can run both instance at the same time, if performance is very low and your harddisks is active all the time/often, then put more memory in your PC.

You can’t have same Service/SID name for both instances. If you followed a standard Oracle8i installation, then you created a Service name ORCL (old days called SID). You must give the new instance in 9i another name.

It is possible to use a LISTENER from both versions, but I would deactivate Oracle 8i listener in Windows Service and only runs with Oracle 9i listener. Use Net manager to setup the listener so it sees both instances.

If you only use the PC for Oracle 8i and 9i, and you do not want to use more money on the PC, then I would try to get Linux Redhat 8.0, Oracle 8i and 9i to Linux. Linux runs better on small hardware than Windows with Oracle. But be sure you can get assistance from somebody near you – if you aren’t familiar with Linux.

If you want to “copy” data between the databases, then use exp.exe from Oracle 8i and exp.exe also from Oracle 8i to import the data into Oracle 9i. And you need to let Oracle 8i “knows” that a service on 9i exists – use Net8 assistant to setup local service names and add 9i service name.

If I was you – I would install oracle 9i – do the things in the databases I need to do – and if it is too slow for me, I would increase memory. I guess you are only trying to know Oracle
Regards
Allan

Thx for reply

i want to create on the same server. Look like i have 6 DBF files for a total of 1,8 Go. for the schemas i'am not sure. I'm really new with Oracle. Thx for any help Jean-Paul Leboeuf

jleboeuf@iquebec.com

Well if you are new to Oracle - then I would use the "save" way of doing it.

1. First you query dba_tablespaces to see tablespaces in current system

2. Then you export the current database by writing in OS
exp userid=system/manager@NetServiceName full=yes file=dump.dmp log=dump.txt consistent=yes compress=no

3. Now you install a new database by running Database Configuration Assistance

You need to decide a Service name (SID) for this database – ex. CPDB

You create all the tablespaces found in no. 1 and ether set filesize correct or use auto extend on

4. You import the database by writing in OS
imp system/manager@cpdb full=yes file=dump.dmp log=dump_in.txt ignore=yes commit=yes

Now you got a copy of the database.
Regards
Allan

Ups - see no 4 - add userid= just after IMP - just as in no. 2 exp. Regards
Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back