Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create a riprep image

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredNoB

IS-IT--Management
Sep 30, 2002
GB
I have been trying to use Riprep to create an XP image. I have installed RIS on my W2K server and added the microsoft RIS update patch. I can run riprep from the Remote install directory, I get to the second step where you enter the RIS server name then when I click next I get an error message "The RIS server to which you are attempting to post this installation does not contain the correct CD-based image. The version of the CD-based image on the server must match the version of the system you are attempting to image [Version 5.1 Build 2600, Language English]. Please either select a different RIS server to post this installation to or add the corresponding CD-based image to the current RIS server."

I know that RIS will only install W2K Pro but I know it can be used to deploy XP images. I have looked at Microsoft support but what I've seen does not give me anything concrete to go on.

Any ideas?? TIA.

Just got the same problem - any nearer a solution ?

No! It's getting frustrating. I can find nothing about it on the net. As a work-around I am using Ghost to create an image and deploy it manually with a boot disk. However, I am still very keen on the idea of deploying images from the server without boot disks but schedules do not allow me to spend a great amount of time on it. I would be interested to hear any ideas you may have tried or any suggestions you may have.

Still waiting in hope
Fred

Hi there,

Although I have not tryed this myself, I have seen some articles relating to deploying Windows XP via RIS whilst looking for a solution to a different RIS problem.

You can only use RIPREP if the RIS server you creating the image on contains a CD based image of the OS you sending it. The image you are creating must also match the regional settings of the CD based image.

To solution to your problem would seem to be to create an XP CD based installation on the RIS server first. Ihave seen MS KB articles detailing how to do this.

Have a look at this

late answer but anyway I will answer...
we are planing this:

Linux Box as boot server to use with network boot from the network cards. he boot image will be.. guess what: a ghost boot Disk. The disk will get it's image from the fileserver.

All you need to do is select "boot from network" when booting the PC.

FredNoB,
Did you ever figureout how to use RIPREP on Windows XP? Im still getting errors when I try to make an image on my XP machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back