Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

create a number of copies of excel file 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sahmiele

Technical User
Sep 9, 2003
US
I have a "template" excel file, and I would like to create a number of copies of this file. The names are loaded into an array. Is there a way I can create the files without opening the "template" file, doing a save as, then repeating? It takes too long to run that way. Thanks in advance!

I would use the Scripting.FileSystemObject and it's .CopyFile method.

[red]"... isn't sanity really just a one trick pony anyway?! I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you are good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit!" - The Tick[/red]

Could you give me an example of what the code should look like? I need a little more explanation than that. Thanks.

just search this forum for FileSystemObject and you should find plenty of examples.

[red]"... isn't sanity really just a one trick pony anyway?! I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you are good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit!" - The Tick[/red]

Check out the "Name" method.

-----------
Regards,
Zack Barresse

Why not simply the VBA FileCopy source, destination instruction ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Both the Name and FileCopy method are probably some of the easiest methods. Creating a FSO can be expensive if you only need it for something like this.

-----------
Regards,
Zack Barresse

if you're not gonna change it much, i'll go with mintjulep's suggestion. If you want to make the xlt an xls at the same time, no probs...

I'd still use native VBA over any other method where possible. You'll save time and resources. And I mispoke, the Name statement is for moving/renaming files, not copying them; PHV had the correct method with FileCopy. Here is an example ...

Code:
Sub Create_X_Files()
    Dim arrFiles(), i As Long, strPath As String
    arrFiles = Array("Book10.xls", "Book11.xls", "Book12.xls", "Book13.xls")
    strPath = "C:\Documents and Settings\Phoenix\Desktop\"
    For i = LBound(arrFiles) To UBound(arrFiles)
        FileCopy strPath & "Book1.xlt", strPath & arrFiles(i)
    Next i
End Sub

Obviously change the path(s) and name(s) where desired.

HTH

-----------
Regards,
Zack Barresse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back