Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create a NEW Stored Procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougP

MIS
Dec 13, 1999
US
I established an ODBC connection a SQL database on our ISP's WEB site. This is a SQL database that we can do anything with.<br>Currently it has our Part numbers and Prices so our distributors can look then up. Our ISP wrote a simple &quot;Find WEB page and a servlet app that's looks up the info keyed in. Which works Great <br>We are resposible for any updates/price changes etc.<br>My first thought was to delete all parts and just copy all ~11,000 parts back up.<br>But it just hangs after a while.<br>I think a better soultion would be compare our parts and prices here in a view or something and then just update/change or add any differences. This may a be just 10-30 parts every week or so.<br>Any Ideas on the best way to do this?<br>&nbsp;??Stored Procedure tied to Job that fires say every Friday nite at Midnight??<br>I need some Transact SQL code or a starting point.<br><br>TIA <p>DougP<br><a href=mailto: dposton@universal1.com> dposton@universal1.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Ask me how Bar-codes can help you be more productive.

Doug,<br><br>Have you used the DBI module for Perl? It stands for DataBase Independent. You can update / read / delete -- anything you can do with SQL -- but with the flexibility of Perl. I'm pretty sold on it now, have just finished a project at work using it.<br><br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> -- and search for DBI<br> <p>Mike<br><a href=mailto:michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com>michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com</a><br><a href= Cargill's Corporate Web Site</a><br>Please -- Don't send me email questions without posting them in Tek-Tips as well. Better yet -- Post the question in Tek-Tips and send me a note saying "Have a look at so-and-so in the thingy forum would you?"

I was really looking for a SQL server 7 solution.<br>I'm taking the Microsoft certification class now and I know SQL has tremendous capability.<br>And I would rather not start getting into and learning yet another program/language.<br><br> <p>DougP<br><a href=mailto: dposton@universal1.com> dposton@universal1.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Ask me how Bar-codes can help you be more productive.

Doug, there are several ways you could do this but have you considered replication?&nbsp;&nbsp;Replication is all about what you want to do here - keeping two databases (or parts of them) synchronised.&nbsp;&nbsp;You can do this in real time or, and I suspect this is what you need, in snapshot mode.<br><br>If you really need to use SPs you could consider having two databases/tables on your own server: the last submission to your ISP and the current information.&nbsp;&nbsp;The SP would then create a database/table of differences and you could send this to the ISP.&nbsp;&nbsp;Another SP could then be run to update the database/table there with the new information.&nbsp;&nbsp;If you take this route you can schedule a job that does all this for you but it's quite a bit of code and few would give you a remote solution that worked without some local hacking.<br><br>There is a very good book that covers all of this and more.&nbsp;&nbsp;If you have some programming experience you will be able to work out all this stuff for yourself easily from this book.&nbsp;&nbsp;It's &quot;Professional SQL Server 7 Programming&quot; written by Rob Vieira, ISBN 1861002319, Cost £36 or $50.&nbsp;&nbsp;If you want to get an overview of the book, check out the reference below.&nbsp;&nbsp;I would definitely reccommend this book.<br><br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new">

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back