Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create a new document in Quark?

Status
Not open for further replies.

j118

Technical User
Aug 11, 2003
CA
Is there a way to overcome the maximum document size of 48" (1219.2 mm) in Quark so that I would be able to create a document bigger than that? I''m trying to print an advertisement banner that is about 80 Inches wide and 4 inches tall. I need to combine all my images together for this print in Quark. Quark however, will not allow me to create a document of such a vast size. Is there a solution to that?

I don't understand how such a flexible program can restrict me in such a way if I have the facilities (RAM and Printer) to do so. Why would Quark care how big my document is? Any suggestions/advices? Thanks in advance.

is there a plugin of some sort or other that would allow for this?? anyone know?

---------------------------------------------------------

Check out my website at:

Quark is not really designed for banner/sign work, you may be better off setting this up in a drawing package. I don't know about Illustrator or Freehand but Corel Draw has a page upto 65 feet square. How are you going to output this banner? vinyl lettering or large format inkjet, if inkjet or digital can you do it in scale and let the rip size it?

What I do in a case like this is create the document at half size and then output it at 200%. As long as your images are high enough res, should work fine. Or set up in Illustrator or Freehand, like Brushman suggested.

im taking it to a publishing company that will print the document for me. They have the technology to print the banner at a vast size. I know that Acrobat would allow for a bigger size, and printing at 200% might just work, but but I still wish there was a way to work around this problem in Quark. Thanks for the advices both of you

---------------------------------------------------------

Check out my website at:

I work for a company which specializes in large-format printing. I do all our artwork at 1/2 or 1/4 size - whichever is more manageable. This way, if I want to print a proof on my desktop printer, it doesn't take forever to rip and if I need to produce a pdf proof, the pdf size is considerably smaller. Just let your publishing company know the file is being supplied at a reduced size.

Make sure your images are scanned to the proper resolution for the final print size. Check with them to see what their specifications are - we normally print at a minimum of 125 dpi on our higher res printers but at a minimum of 75 dpi on our outdoor printer. Scan your images to the final size at the final resolution OR scan to the reduced size but at 200% or 400% the resolution. i.e. if your scan is 1/2 final size and final resolution is 100 dpi, scan at 200 dpi; if your scan is 1/4 final size and final resolution is 100 dpi, scan at 400 dpi.

I frequently run into this problem with customer-supplied files - especially if the file requires a bleed which, of course, they can't add. I get it to work by either reducing everything to 1/2 the size on a smaller page so that I can add bleed OR I open it up in InDesign, leave it at 100% and add a bleed there.

i also would like to know if there is an extension or plugin that allows for exceeding the max document width and height quark has fixed. i too can not think of why there would be a need to restrict this to a certain maximum.

it is easier sometimes to work at 100% of the output size in quark and create the .ps or pdf so that, in production, the printer operator doesnt have to think about scaling etc.

please let me know!

have you found an extension for this already?

pls let me know, i could also use this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back