Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create A New DC Need What Kind of Changes to Existing DNS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

userinfo

IS-IT--Management
Dec 4, 2002
US
Hi there,

If I upgrate a printing server to domain controller, should I do any changes to the existing configuration of DNS to reflect the new domain controller?
Or must I install a new AD-integrated DNS in this new dc?

Thanks very much!!!

Yours
Rui

If your DNS is configured properly, just promote it as a DC, and AD will do the rest of the work. Gia Betiu
giabetiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K

Hi Gia,

So, what about if I install another DNS during promotion? Cuz I read a article from microsfot, and recommend to install ad integrated dns during the process.
Thanks.

Well, is not like saying "what if". Better to say: "what I need". What are the requirements? How the name space looks like? How the name resolution is solved there? Gia Betiu
giabetiu@chello.nl

Hi Gia,

there is no special requirement;only one domain, 2 existing dc.nothing special.

thanks!

How many clients are you serving? It sounds like you have enough DNS servers to cope so theres no need to install another one.

Ash.

i don't know whether the two dc are all have dns installed.

AD require DNS! So, if there is not a DNS provided by those Win2k DCs, then there are other servers with DNS service running.
Adding a DNS server in your organization is not just a simple step. It depends on the requirements, and as I said name space. So, do you want this server to host another zone (another domain too)? Or it will be just a secondary one. And then,. for a small network, why you need so may servers...
Gia Betiu
giabetiu@chello.nl

: )

My purpose is only to setup redundancy for the domain controllers, so this will be a secondary one.

The reason that I chose to have the third dc is because we found bad sectors on both of the two existing servers, and we have one of the server crashed recently.

Because I am not sure whether the new domain controller will be reflected by the DNS, so I raised such questions. Besides, when I read a article from Microsoft, it recommend users to install DNS during promotion of the dc.

So, do you think it is a good idea to have DNS installed on the new dc?

Thanks very much!

Active Directory requires DNS and you already have it on the network. The new server can use the DNS on one of the other servers. Since you don't seem to be having any trouble of resolving DNS queries, and if this server will be located on the same site (network segment) don't bother adding DNS to the new server, especially if you already have it installed on the other two.

If you were on a different site (connecting to your original servers through a slow WAN), then sure, add DNS along with making it a global catalog server to provide better services to the remote site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back