Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create a new database

Status
Not open for further replies.

aliviu

Programmer
Feb 27, 2002
RO
I have downloaded and installed Oracle 9i Database Server on Windows 2000 Professional. When trying to create a new database using "Database Configuration Assistant", I failed because the new empty database needed 1144 MB (more than 1 GB !) on HDD. I tried with different templates but the result is the same. Is there another way to create a new db that doesn't need such amount of space, or I have to buy another HDD ?

Try to generate the database creation scripts.Do not choose any of the available templates as they require too much of HDD space, rather use the custom option and create the script and run it manually. That works fine.
-Bhavesh Patel

Check the Oracle documentation, I believe Oracle 9i Database Server needs Windows 2000 Server, not Proffesional.
You can check this in the installation guide, in the system requirements section.

I checked the documentation (Oracle 9i Database Administrator's Guide, cap. 1 Postinstallation Database Creation, Creating a Database Manually) and I tried to use a CREATE DATABASE statement for setting the dimensions of the files to smaller values. I have followed the steps described there:
- I have created the file "init.ora"
- I have created a service using oradim (and the service started)
- I have set ORACLE_SID
- I have launched sqlplus with "/nolog"
Then, I can't connect to ... (to what ?):
- with "connect / as sysdba" I get "ERROR ORA-01031: insufficient privileges"
- with "connect sys/change_on_install as sysdba" I get "ERROR ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied".
Later (in another sqlplus session), I get "ERROR ORA-24314: service handle not initialized".
Am I missing something ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back