Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

create a loop that exports a report to excel based on a field

Status
Not open for further replies.

juliana28

MIS
May 11, 2011
US
Hello,
------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a database that produces timesheets for employees based on employee information and grouped by department information in tblDetail. I have a macro that exports the report Timesheets into excel. I need one Timesheet report to for each department to be exported to excel. So I think I need to create a module that contains a loop that looks in the tblDistribution for the Department id the exports each report to excel. I am stuck on how to do this. Please help. I need to make this as easy as possible for the payroll person. At the moment they are printing reports and manually keying in all the information one person at a time. I have the two table names below...

tblDetail.EmpliD, Pay Group, fileNbr, Period End Date, Pay Date, Day, Hours, Code, Shift, Amt, Temp Dept, Dept ID, Department Name, Department Mgr, Deptsupv, Std Hours, Name, Mgr Name, Mgr Email

tbl_Distribution.Dept ID, Dept Timesheet Manager, Department TimesheetManager Email, Department Name

Thanks,
Juliana

Loops are relativly easy. You could base the loop on a recordset of the tbl_Distribution.DeptID.

Dim db as DAO.Database
Dim rs as DAO.RecordSet
Dim strSQL as String

StrSQL = "Select Distinct tbl_Distribution.DeptID From tbl_Distribution;"

Set db = Currentdb()
Set rs = db.OpenRecordset(strSQL)

rs.MoveLast
rs.MoveFirst

Do Until rs.EOF

'This is where you run your report
'here you could run the report with vba instead of the macro 'based on the rs(DeptID) that is current

rs.MoveNext
Loop

HTH << MaZeWorX >> "I have not failed I have only found ten thousand ways that don't work

@SkipVought
Necessity is the mother to all invention… ?
They produce a timesheet report from Reportsmith that is connected to the HR system and fax to each department. The departments fax back the time sheets and Payroll manually keys time into the HR System from faxed Time Sheets. While I think designing a time keeping system is beyond me I thought I could help by trying to automate some of the functions. This would include producing timesheets from information downloaded from the HR system into Access. Exporting them into excel spreadsheets so that the Payroll person can email them to each department so each department can fill in the time and email it back. Then compiling the data in the spreadsheets back in Access, prepare audits to catch anything funky as well as create 1 file to upload to the HR system.

@MazeWorX

Hi,
Thanks.

I tried the below and I am getting a compile error. What am I doing wrong.

Private Sub EportTimesheets()
Dim db As DAO.Database
Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
Dim strSQL As String

strSQL = "Select Distinct tbl_Distribution.DeptID From tbl_Distribution;"

Set db = CurrentDb()

rs.MoveLast
rs.MoveFirst

Do Until rs.EOF
docmd.OutputTo acOutputReport, timesheets, acFormatXLS, , -1

'This is where you run your report
'here you could run the report with vba instead of the macro 'based on the rs(DeptID) that is current

rs.MoveNext
Loop

End Sub

DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputReport, timesheets, acFormatXLS, , -1

The report name should be in quotes "timesheets" also if you leave the outputfile argument blank then access will prompt you for a file name.

another possibility(probability) is you have a missing reference. I was able to compile without errors

Also the loop doesn't really do anything but run the same report for as many records as there are in the tbl_Distribution. what you want to do is to run only the report for that dept(current record of the loop)

Another option below: compiles but hasnt been tested

Code:
Private Sub ExportTimesheets()
    Dim db As DAO.Database
    Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
    Dim strSQL As String
    Dim strSQL2 As String
    Dim strFileName As String

On Error GoTo ExportTimesheets_Error

strSQL = "Select Distinct tbl_Distribution.* From tbl_Distribution;"

Set db = CurrentDb()

rs.MoveLast
    rs.MoveFirst

Do Until rs.EOF
        strSQL2 = "SELECT tblDetail.* " _
                & "FROM tblDetail " _
                & "WHERE [tblDetal].[Dept ID]=" & rs!DeptID
        strFileName = [rs]![Department Name] & " Payroll"

DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport, , strSQL2, strFileName, True
        rs.MoveNext
        strFileName = ""
        strSQL2 = ""
    Loop

On Error GoTo 0
    Exit Sub

ExportTimesheets_Error:

MsgBox "Error " & Err.Number & " (" & Err.Description & ") in procedure ExportTimesheets"
End Sub

HTH << MaZeWorX >> "I have not failed I have only found ten thousand ways that don't work

Sorry missed something

Code:
              & "FROM tblDetail " _
              & "WHERE [tblDetal].[Dept ID]=" & rs!DeptID

Should be
Code:
              & "FROM tblDetail " _
              & "WHERE [tblDetal].[Dept ID]=" & rs!DeptID & ";"

Thanks so much for your help.

I tried the below and I get eoor 3265. I am not sure what I am doing wrong???

Private Sub ExportTimesheets()
Dim db As DAO.Database
Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
Dim strSQL As String
Dim strSQL2 As String
Dim strFileName As String

On Error GoTo ExportTimesheets_Error

strSQL = "Select Distinct tbl_Distribution.* From tbl_Distribution;"

Set db = CurrentDb()

rs.MoveLast
rs.MoveFirst

Do Until rs.EOF
& "FROM tblDetail " _
& "WHERE [tblDetal].[Dept ID]=" & rs!DeptID & ";"
strFileName = [rs]![Department Name]

'DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport, "timesheets", strSQL2, strFileName, True
DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputReport, "Timesheets", acFormatXLS, , -1

rs.MoveNext
strFileName = ""
strSQL2 = ""
Loop

On Error GoTo 0
Exit Sub

ExportTimesheets_Error:

MsgBox "Error " & Err.Number & " (" & Err.Description & ") in procedure ExportTimesheets"
End Sub

Well, one thing I see is a typo where tblDetail is spelled tblDetal:

Code:
           & "FROM tblDetail " _
           & "WHERE [b][tblDetal][/b].[Dept ID]=" & rs!DeptID & ";"

You could eliminate that problem by just using

Code:
"Select * FROM tblDetail WHERE [Dept ID] = " & rs!DeptID

It is not necessary to qualify your field with the table name in a single table query. It may be a good habit to get into for multiple tables, but I am not that much a creature of habit. Your mileage may vary.

Also, I never put the ";" at the end of a SQL statement and Access never complains (up through 2003, anyway.) And I recommend building tables with single word field names (e.g. avoid fields like 'Dept Id' and use 'DeptID' instead) that way you don't need the brackets.

I am much more comfortable with macros in excel than Access, why not create a macro in excel to sort the data the way you want once its all in there?

Paul Beddows

Consulting, Avaya/EAS implementation, Training
Vancouver, Canada
E-mail paul at natcoa.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back