Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

create a function to SUM a column in a MSFlexGrid 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

homesick

Programmer
Dec 5, 2001
CA
Season's greetings all!!

Just wondering how i would create a function to sum a column in a MSFlexGrid? I wanted to have a coomadnbutton to perform the function and a textbox to display it. Is this possible and can anyone help?

simon

This should be what u need:

----------------------------
Private Sub Command1_Click()
Text1.Text = TotalColumn(FlexGrid, 2)

End Sub

Private Function TotalColumn(Grid As MSHFlexGrid, ByVal ColIndex As Integer) As Integer
Dim R As Long
Dim Total As Integer

For R = 0 To Grid.Rows - 1
If IsNumeric(Grid.TextMatrix(R, ColIndex)) Then
Total = Total + Grid.TextMatrix(R, ColIndex)
End If
Next R

TotalColumn = Total

End Function

--------------------------

HTH.

~Mike
Any man willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security.

-Ben Franklin

Thanks for the help but it doesn't seem to be working....it gives me the error "Compile Error: ByRef argument type mismatch" ....what does that mean?"

Private Sub Command22_Click()
Text1.Text = TotalColumn(FlexGrid, 15) ' 15 is my column i would like to sum

End Sub

Private Function TotalColumn(Grid As MSFlexGrid, ByVal ColIndex As
Integer) As Integer
Dim R As Long
Dim Total As Integer

End If
Next R

TotalColumn = Total

End Function

The only thing I can see right away is in your function header:

Private Function TotalColumn(Grid As MSFlexGrid, etc...)
'Change to:
Private Function TotalColumn(Grid AS MSHFlexGrid, etc...)

Also, when you call the function, i.e. "Text1.Text = TotalColumn(FlexGrid, 15)", make sure that 'FlexGrid' is the name of your grid.

At any rate, a ByRef argument type mismatch error is blaming the grid part of the function call, but the rest looks ok...try checking these and see what happens.

~Mike

Any man willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security.

-Ben Franklin

Almost there but now it's returning a value if "0"....calculation doesn't seem to be working...

Try changing this line:

to this:
If IsNumeric(CInt(Grid.TextMatrix(R, ColIndex))) Then
Total = Total + CInt(Grid.TextMatrix(R, ColIndex))

You may have spaces or something else that's causing IsNumeric() to return false. Put a breakpoint on the line that increments Total and make sure it's actually getting there, it sounds like it's not...

-Ben Franklin

it was actually my TotalColumn = Total....i misspelled "column"....working good....but now i'm sometimes getting "Overflow" error...looks like the number might be too large...any suggestions?

Integers can hold values from about 32000 to -32000. Try changing Total to Long (about +/- 4 million, as well as the return value from the function:

Private Function TotalColumn(Grid As MSFlexGrid, ByVal ColIndex As Integer) As Long
Dim R As Long
Dim Total As Long

End If
Next R

TotalColumn = Total

End Function

If you still get an overflow error you may need to change to Single or Double.

HTH

~Mike

-Ben Franklin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back