Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create a desktop folder using Javascript

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonesinc

Programmer
Jun 24, 2003
US
I want to create a desktop folder on a Windows 7 machine using Javascript. This folder will be generated when an authorized user clicks on a button inside a trusted intranet site. Any ideas?

Fortunately, you can't access the client file system with javascript.

Lyndon

---People Remember about 10% of what you say ---They never forget how you made them feel. Covey

You are correct. The FileSystemObject "CreateFolder" method works perfectly. My next step and final step is to enable the end user to add this folder to their Windows 7 desktop using an IE browser on a trusted intranet site. Any ideas?

TC's original thread posted in the HTML forum:
thread215-1628713

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

You said:
I want to create a desktop folder
Me said:
consider using the FileSystemObject ActiveX control's "CreateFolder" method
You said:
The FileSystemObject "CreateFolder" method works perfectly
You said:
My next step and final step is to enable the end user to add this folder to their Windows 7 desktop using an IE browser on a trusted intranet site. Any ideas?

Am I being daft and missing something really obvious here? If the "CreateFolder" method worked perfectly to create a folder on the desktop, why would you need to add the folder to the desktop if it's already there?

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch:
Code Couch Snippets & Info:
The Out Atheism Campaign

I believe the code you referenced on the MS site provides guidence on how to create a folder in the root of c:\. That's fine, however, I also need to be able to add this folder to the default desktop profile on a Windows 7 machine. Microsoft changed the default desktop location to c:\users\default\desktop on Win7. This folder is hidden by default and requires admin rights. Any ideas?

You said:
I believe the code you referenced on the MS site provides guidence on how to create a folder in the root of c:\

I think you've taken the MSDN example too literally. The "foldername" parameter can be any valid folder identifier, not just one in the root of C:. Perhaps you overlooked the section entitled "Arguments"?

MSDN said:
foldername - required. String expression that identifies the folder to create.

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch:
Code Couch Snippets & Info:
The Out Atheism Campaign

Thank you for your time. Unfortunately, I don't think my original plan of using a website to create a public desktop folder on a users Win7 machine will be a viable option when my employer rolls out Windows 7 next year - there will be too many security restrictions in place blocking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back