Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create 2D from 3D object

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Nov 26, 2001
ID
Dear All,

Can anyone help, how to create 2D from 3D object in AutoCAD ?

Thanks before.

You can use flatten objects under the express tools or you can create a plt file and use the express tool to inport it as a drawing. A plt file can be craeated by printing to a file.

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan,

I did try to pint to plt like your suggestion, but when I am import the plt to DWG with express tools, it shows
"The selected plt is not the proper HPGL format".
There's something wrong with my printer and how I could solve that problem ?

Regards,
P2

Sorry, I was a little hasty in my response. You can set up an HPGL printer using your AutoCAD printer setup. Any one of the raster printers will work. Your best option is to use the flaten utitlity. Let me toy with it a little. I will post more later today. The imported print file is limited because it is a raster image and not a vector image. (you can not edit or dimension it) Architectural Desktop has an elevation utility that works better than anything else I have seen. Let me play with the flatten utility and I will write more about that later.
Jonathan

Are these objects solids? If so just try to use the solprof commamd. it creates 2d views of the 3d object

OK Jonathan,

I will wait. Because this is really important to me.
I am using an AutoCAD 2000. How I can use Flatten Command in it ? because I could not found any flatten command in Express Tools.

regards,
P2

Hello P2. I assumed you had tried dshane's idea with the solprof command with some success, so I did not look into any further. If you did, how did you make out? I will check back later.
Jonathan

I copied the following two articles from the Autodesk website. Hope you find them helpful.

To use the SOLPROF command to create a 2D profile:

Open a drawing that contains a solid model from which you want to create a profile.
Rotate the solid model to the view that you want to project.
Select a layout tab.
In the Page Setup - Layout dialog box, select the settings you want.
Click OK to set tilemode to 0 and create a layout viewport.
Click the Paper button on the status bar to open the viewport in model space.
Enter solprof on the command line, then select the solid model. Press ENTER to continue the command.
At the Display Hidden Profile Lines on Separate Layer prompt, enter Y. A layer named PH-XX is created (where XX equals the Handle of the layout viewport). Visible profile lines will be placed on layer PV-XX.
At the Project Profile Lines onto a Plane prompt, enter Y. A 2D profile is created. If you answered No, it creates a 3D profile.
At the Delete Tangential Edges prompt, enter Y. (This conforms to conventional drafting standards.)
You can now use layer controls to freeze the solid model in the current viewport and select color and linetype options for the visible and hidden profile objects

------------------------------------------------------------

To create a 2D drawing from a 3D model:

Configure a DXB plotter using the Add-A-Plotter wizard.

If you are running an AutoCAD 2000 based program, and do not see AutoCAD DXB File in the list of HDI drivers, refer to Technical Solution TS24699 for download instructions.

Open the drawing.
Set the viewpoint of the 3D model as you want it.
Start the PLOT command.
Select the DXB plotter from the list of available printers on the Plot Device tab of the Plotter Configuration Name dialog box.
Click OK to create the DXB format plot file.
Start a new drawing.
Start the DXBIN command at the command line.
When prompted, browse to the file you just created, and then click OK.
When the drawing is open, save the drawing as a DWG format file.
You now have a new 2D representation of the model from the original drawing. All Z coordinate information is removed in the new drawing.

Note: The DXB plotter configuration converts all color data to black and white, and places all drawing geometry on layer 0.

Note that earlier releases of the software used the DXBOUT command to export to the DXB file format. DXBOUT is a discontinued command, replaced by the DXB plot configuration, as described in steps 1 to 6 above.

Thanks bro,
It's works now. :)

Regards,
P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back