Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crazy Tempdb

Status
Not open for further replies.

boogin

Programmer
Apr 16, 2001
US
A Bulk Copy ran this weekend that maxed out the tempdb (by filling the drive).

Details on tempdb.mdf - 37 gig - but only 1.44 MB used.

DBCC shrinkdatabase had no effect - tried calling it from Enterprise manager and Query analyzer.

Theoretically shouldn't I be able to just stop SQL server - delete the tempdb.mdf - and restart? It's supposed to rebuild itself every time the server is started - at least that is my understanding - it would default back to whatever size model DB was. Well, I deleted it - cleared it totally off of the machine (not in the recycle bin - no where). But when you restart the server - it reappears. A 37 gig tempdb.mdf file just shows up. Any ideas?

The drive is maxed and causing the SQL service to behave weirdly. . .

I have done the dreaded reboot after deleting the file and before starting the SQL service - no success - the file still shows back up.

Fun.

HI There

It sounds like it is actually the "Transaction Log" that has filled up (.ldf) . The same thing happened to me a week ago.

Try the following ..

1. In Query Analyser run the following script

DUMP TRANSACTION WITH TRUNCATE_ONLY

if this doesnt work try

DUMP TRANSACTION WITH NO_LOG

2. You know need to take a fullbackup of your database
You must do this in Query Analyser

DUMP DATABASE <database_name> to <backup_device>

Your transaction log is now completed. You will only loose the uncommited transactions that were in the transaction log.

Hope This Helps
Bernadette

Hi there,

FYI, the tempdb is used to store temporary procedures, tables, views, etc.

If you are doing any sql development, check over some of your procs. I've found using temporary tables a much easier way to manipulating records but if you perform inserts, selects & updates on the same table in the same proc you can fill it up quite quickly.

I've done this one before
Chris

FYI - bulk copies do not make entries in the transaction log.

FYI - By default, all row-insert operations performed by bcp are logged in the transaction log. Only if specific conditions are met does the bulk copy do nonlogged operations. For more info, see &quot;Logged and Nonlogged Bulk Copy Operations&quot; in BOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back