Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

crazy scenario..ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMASPE

IS-IT--Management
Sep 25, 2001
US
Quick scenario.. I have a pix 506 connected to a Hp procurve switch running at 10mb half duplex. All other machines and switch settings were set to auto negotiate. Today had constant packet loss and collision. Things seemed to get better when I clear the arp tables on the pix(???) So I set everyone to 10mb half duplex and everything was back up and running. Any ideas or commments? Could a mixed environment of full and half duplex cause these issues? Does the pix have anything to do with my issues???

Well boys please chime in on this. I pulled the 506 out of the mix and guess what no more issues. So could this be
1. PIX 506 can not handle the traffic of this network? Do they need a 515 with the fast ethernet port?
2. Could something in the config be causing these connectio issues???
Ideas..anyone? If you like my post let me know if I blow an answer...well it's probably late and I have had too many beers! Cheers!!

When you set a port for autonegotiation you are asking for problems. If the switch decides it can "improve" the connection it will re-start the negotiation process whenever it wants.

I think your situation is complicated by the fact that you have a Procurve switch. They may be good at negotiating with HP NICs and PCs. But I would not use that setting for a device that will be configured and operating on the same switch port permanently.

I always suggest that you set the interafces on a PIX to fixed setting. Never auto.

Liberty for All,

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back