Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crawling On MVC Entity Framework

Status
Not open for further replies.

BitLost

Technical User
Dec 30, 2016
AU
I am very new to ASP.Net MVC weeks in experience with it.

I am enjoying learning the ins and outs of this new tool with the various tutorials I have been finding on line.

My background has been in MS Access for many years and more recently my work space needs are pushing me towards a remote system which is where ASP.Net comes in.

I may be getting ahead of myself, but coming from an Access background I am used to fairly simple handling of Not in List on the drop down. In fact one of my standard tools is a standard module to handle all not in list events. I keep looking for similar information in ASP.Net MVC and so far haven't found it. I am finding reference to AJAX, and other tools, but at the moment I am generally thinking about IQueryable methods of some sort. Can someone perhaps post a few links to something talking about this? I have been spending time looking myself but haven't either realised I am looking at the right information or haven't been able to find any really clear examples.

Thanks in advance

Ok.. So..
first the drop down list in Access works differently than an HTML drop down list.
Selecting text if the word starts with f and is the third entry in a web page, the user needs to press f 3 times to get to it. In access you start typing the word.. e.g. frozen peas as the third entry.. you just start typing "fro" and it should come up. So a not in list really almost doesn't make sense, If you cycle through the f's by hitting f until it starts at the beginning again.

Also.. with Access, because everything is databound, an empty list entry was likely to throw an error as it was usually doing a directlookup from the lists event. In the web you need to code around the postback, look for an empty value or a null result from a search..

Everything is just a little more manual.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back