Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

crawling behind a password

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leakyradiator

Technical User
Jul 12, 2002
US
There's a content management system for online magazines, done in cold fusion and the programmers claim that search engines can crawl their articles, even though they're behind a password. Does anybody know how this is done?

Thanks

Hi mate,

The only way I can think of to do this would be to check the browser strings and determine if the caller is a robot or not, but if that is the method used, it could be easily bypassed by anyone.

Hope this helps

Wullie

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

Wouldn't every one of those crawled documents be represented as the login screen?

Phil Hegedusich
Senior Web Developer
IIMAK
-----------
Boy howdy, my Liberal Studies degree really prepared me for this....
-----------
A skeleton walks into a bar, and says "I'll have a beer and a mop.

The only thing I can guess at is that they identify robots in some fashion and, once identified, they establish a session for it. That would take the login out of the equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back