Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

crashing amd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozispimp

IS-IT--Management
Dec 15, 2000
US
i'm having a problem with my comp, sometimes when i reboot, or sometimes when it crashes.. the computer restarts and says "processor is not set up correctly"

i have an asus motherboard, and an amd 1.2ghz

never had these problems when i first put the comp together, and for the past year and a half or so.. and maybe 4-5 months of no problems, with the new 1.2ghz processor..

any ideas?

HI
This could in all probability be because of the slowing down of the CPU cooling Fan. You could experience this crash when you read or copy to a floppy or a CD and this will keep incresing. So if you replace the CPU cooler, the system will stabilise.

You have to open the case cover and apply a blower to remove any dust which could be present/accumulate.

In the case open condition reconnect the power, start the unit and watch the CPU cooler fan.. if it works or works slower...
Hope this helps you :) ramani :-9
(Subramanian.G),FoxAcc, ramani_g@yahoo.com

Hi
This might be a problem with the bios. Please enter into your bios settings and check for cpu settings. That mig.ht not be 1.2 Ghz set that and set the correct voltage setting also. Most probably this will work.

Manoj Jacob
mjacobin@yahoo.com

i think i have it.. i loaded up the bios.. and checked everything out.. processor and voltage were right.. (i couldn't change the voltage, but it matched up)

so i decided to look at everything.. turns out it had the video card set for 64mb.. i only have a 32mb.. so far, no problems, but then again.. its the first boot up.. and it didn't crash all the time ;)

muahahaha

turns out.. the comp still crashed when i changed it to 32mb.. so right now, i have it set at 900mhz, and its doing perfectly fine..

could this possibly be because its not seated properly.. or do you still think its more of a cpu fan issue?? could it be maybe that i have a 250w supply, and not a 300?? if so, why is it starting to happen now?

What you changed the first time had nothing to do with the VIDEO card's RAM, but how much RAM the system will utilize for AGP functionality. Read the mainboard manual.

P/S could be causing your problems, they get weaker as they get older.

It isn't much of a choice on the P/S; you should invest in a good Quality P/S..... a 300 WATT that is AMD approved.
(check out AMD's website for the list. are 2 places you can get P/S's at and not get screwed on shipping fees)

BIOS settings: Do the settings match what your RAM is ?
Is your RAM PC133 ? Is the BIOS set to 133/133 when you run it at 1200 MHz ?

You can also check to see ..... CAUTION ... what BIOS version you have, and if it's OLD, like 2 versions old,,, (just a general benchmark) you could FLASH the BIOS.
You hose that, and your board is toast though. READ.

When you flash the BIOS, it is imperative you reset the mainboard to the DEFAULT status and save that. Having this reset may help.

RAM!

** COOLING FAN....... (good place to always check)
Check the status in the BIOS.......
Again,,,,,, you could get a cooling fan,,,,, at
and a new P/Supply .... at the same time and save money ...... good fans are $10 (Cooler Master).

Oh, I forgot:
DRIVERS: Try reloading the VIA 4in1 drivers,,,,, and get the LATEST - DirectX 8.1
> * NEW Video card drivers....... the newest for whatever video card you have **

It sound like you have the processor settings wrong.

There are two different types of AMD Athlon 1.2GHz processors: 100/200MHz FSB and 133/266MHz FSB.

Why the processor worked without any problems before, I don't know. Possibly, you inadvertently changed the settings from [Auto or Standard] to [Manual].

If you had the processor set with a clock multiplier of 12 and a FSB of 100 (12 x 100) and it should have been (9 x 133), then it probably was running at (9 x 100) because the clock multiplier is locked on Athlon processors.

It probably will run fine like that except the speed will be only 900MHz.

To make a long story short, if you have a 1.2GHz - 100/200MHz FSB processor then the clock multiplier should be set at 12 and the CPU frequency at 100. (12 x 100 = 1200)

If you have a 1.2GHz - 133/266MHz FSB processor then the clock multiplier should be set at 9 and the CPU frequency at 133. (9 x 133 = 1200)

Don't simply go by the processor speed listed in the BIOS setup. Make sure that the clock multiplier and CPU frequency (FSB) are set correctly.
You can also use [Auto or Standard] and let the BIOS detect the processor.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

John

sorry to post so late..

i have a 266mhz FSB and i have pc2100 DDR ram...

what would be the correct settings for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back