Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CRASH VICTIM UPDATE - 09 Apr 01 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallyhag

Technical User
Mar 31, 2001
GB
Got he new HDD from Fujitzu Siemens in the post, fault still exsists!!!! Aghhh!!!

Still open to ideas...please

Fallyhag

ORIGINAL MESSAGE OF HELP

Here is the latest on the CRASH repairs as at: 02 Apr 01

After talking to the computer service hotline, he advised the following over the phone. This advice came with a personal guarantee to fix the fault:

1. Boot PC from the CD
2. Start PC with CD ROM support
3. On the “A” prompt type “D:”
4. Then enter “CD WIN98”
5. Then enter “FORMAT C: /U /Q”
6. The following is then displayed – All data will be lost. I enter Yes.
7. The following is then displayed:

a. Checking existing disk format
b. Quick formatting 14,59,78 m
c. Recording current bad clusters
d. Complete
e. Format complete
f. Writing out file allocation table
g. Complete
h. Calculating free space (this may take several minutes)
i. Complete
j. Enter volume label or press return – I pressed return
k. 14,581.52 mb total disk space
l. 14,581.52 mb available on disk
m. 8,192 bytes in each allocation unit
n. 1,866.434 allocation units available on disk

8. On the D prompt I then entered “setup” .
9. The D Drive then started the setup from the Win98 CD
10. Setup ran the scandisk program
11. Then the screen showed the Win98 intro screen and highlighted the “preparing to run Windows 98 setup” in the left hand margin
12. Then it highlights the “collecting information about your computer”
13. When I select Next the screen then brings up the old error messages starting with the “SUWIN” error message.

So the personal guarantee was not appreciated at all. Naturally when I rang back I got the message that I was calling out of hours, typical!!!

I am concerned about the “Recording current bad clusters” message, does anyone know what this might mean? The expert on the phone seemed to think that the problem was due to an error remaining on the PC and his advice would ensure that it would be properly formatted. Well that was the idea anyway.

I have run Microsoft Scandisk and Nortons Diskdoctor but neither of them have detected any problems.

I have removed the new RAM that I bought but no change.

Advice on what might solve this ongoing drama is always appreciated. To all those that have already gave their advice, I am sincerely grateful and thankful to this forum for helping me.

Fingers crossed

Fallyhag

……………………………………………………….

ORIGINAL MESSAGES……………………………

The latest that I have done to try and sort my problem out:

Well I have taken the case off and had a good look inside. I have taken out the Graphics card and then re-seated it. I have removed the RAM, swapped them over and reinserted them. I have also disconnected the CD ROM drives apart from the one I need.

After a deep pause I switched it all back on. I went through the normal stages of promise leading me right up to the Start copying files bit but with a big whack in the face I received another message. This one read:

APPLICATION ERROR

SUWIN caused a general protection fault in module SETUPX.DLL at 0004:5A54

Occasionally I am also getting the following message:

INVALID TRUE TYPE FONT DETECTED

An application used a true type font that caused an error in windows. Quit all apps and restart Blah…Blah…. Blah..

Now before I have to take this horrible computer to the people that will rip me off, can anyone please help me to try and diagnose this damn thing? Any help will be really grateful.

Help Help Help Help!!!!

…………………………

Old Message:
Please help, it wont start!!!

I came accross my PC the other night and found it black screen not responding.

No matter what I did I had no response. I tried to restart the machine but then it just wouldn’t.

After doing everything I finally went for the big one and did the FDISK, format and reinstall of W98.

The FDISK went well and when I went for the Re-install it led me straight to the Format, which also went well.

The setup disk then scanned my system and came up with no faults.

It was only when I went into the W98 setup screen that everything went wrong.

Straight away I get a pop up message saying:

APPLICATION ERROR

W98SETUP caused a general protection fault in module GDI.exe at 0001:5048

I then clicked the close button which led to the following message:

APPLICATION ERROR

W98SETUP caused a general protection fault in module USER.exe at 0001:40B6

Once again I click close which causes a black screen and a message saying:

Standard mode: Bad fault in MS-DOS extender. Fault: 000D stack dump: 0000 0000 0070 Raw fault frame : EC=0000 IP=5EF7 CS=03AF FL=3087 SP=FFEE SS=030F, Please remove any floppies and restart your machine.

But when I do I end up back at square one, all over again!?

I can’t reinstall my software And I think I have tried everything. Is there anyone out there who can help? Please!!!! What is wrong with my machine?

Many Thanks

Fallyhag@bigfoot.com

hi again

MODEL: MS-6191

revision: 1.0/1.3 with BIOS version:A6191MS16
is currently validated for the following processors:
Note that only the highest speed is shown. If not otherwise indicated, the lower speed processors have already been validated.

AMD Athlon (K7 + K75, Slot A) 1000MHz

so your motherboard support up to 1 GHz slot A cpu...:)

but you might need to do a bios upgrade for that...but let me try to see the manual.

download the manual 6191.zip
and unzip.

look at the file 6191-2, it gives you detail instruction how to install the cpu. it's in pdf format.

The motherboard autodetects the jumpers, so you don't need to change anything on the jumpers...therefore you just have to install the cpu in..:)

Hui

Can't thank you enough :)
Downloading now for a interesting read.

Did you know about the new Fans and the power problem I have?

Fallyhag

I have just read the info and have found the spare fan power supply sockets. Thanks very much for that link.

I have installed the CPU and after a little wriggling it finally clicked in.

I started the system and both fans worked fine.

The monitor starts up and the PC beeps and then I get some BIOS info followed by info telling me it is a Athlon 800Mhz, but then nothing further happens at all.

Any idea why?

Fallyhag

HI,

when it detects a athlon that means the system go through the bios, which means everything is in correctly. IF it's a power problem your computer wouldn't even boot. Make sure everything is push all the way in. And make sure all cables are in...What kinda of power supply do u have? how many watts? make sure you get Athlon recommended power supply to make sure it's good power.

Here is the link:

Also i'm not sure maybe your motherboard need a bios update...do anyone of your friend have a spare 700 cpu where you can plug in to test?

Also here another way to check, pull out all the cards in your computer just leave the Video Card in...and turn it on to test...

Can you get into the bios by pressing and holding down the DEL Key? You may need to set something in the bios.

Hui

THE TECHNICIAN HAS VISITED!!!

Well I have had the visit from the Technician who has been and gone. (I wont mention that he looked as old as my little nephew).

He came in and played around with the BIOS for a bit and then tried to load the software. He suspicions were first for the HDD but this went down the pan once he found out that it was a brand new one supplied by the manafacturer.

He then slotted in the new CPU and booted up. To my glee it didnt do anything apart from what I mentioned in my last post to this topic. I was glad because I had tried to insert my first ever Slot A CPU last night and with it not working when I booted up, well I had doubt that I had done it right.

With the lack of life in the PC he looked disgruntled. I then left him to get on with the tinkering. He did do as htin11 mentioned and removed all the cards and tried to enter BIOS on the reboot, but no joy.

He swapped the RAM but no joy. Which left just the biggy, out came the new MOBO from his briefcase and in it went into my case.

So with a new MOBO, a new CPU (and a faster one!) and a new HDD made by a better manafacturer (Western Dig), he went for another boot up. Well needless to say with all that hardware having been changed if it didnt work I would of been well surprised.

He booted up and indeed it worked! Basically I now have a brand new PC inside my tower, bonus!!!

He suspects that it was the MOBO at fault but he wasnt too convinced himself. The MOBO definately wasnt working with the new CPU so maybe he was right. As soon as the MOBO was renewed with the new CPU in place, well it all was sorted.

Things I have learnt. Well to make use of these forums is a must as they have been incredibly helpful. A big thanks to all those who have advised, especially htin11, who really did help enormously. Thanks!

Luckily for me my PC was just under one year old so still covered by the warranty. I now understand that the diagnosis of a PC can be very trial and error and also very expensive. There was several times when I just wanted to go out and buy a new HDD or a CPU rather than wait for the tech but thankfully I have a wife with lots of control over my wallet.

So with a PC that is waiting I am off to install everything that has been lost. I still have another question regarding the software "Nortons GHOST", but I will leave that for another thread.

Thank you to you all for all your help

Yours very gratefully

Fallyhag

Hi FallyHag,

I'm happy that you finally resolved this problem, But i wouldn't think it's the motherboard, but i guess it might be when you disable it...maybe try to swap parts, anyway, Norton Ghost is a program that use to make images of your hard drive. It dumps everything in a partiation or a drive into a image file, when something happen to your computer, you can use Norton Ghost to retreive your computer as when you imaged the hard drive. Great for backups..

Hui Emagine Solutions, Inc.

Now the expert has gone I have stuck in my spare 128MB RAM to boost me up to 2 x 128MB.

When I select the BIOS setup and save FAILSAFE settings and then reboot it fails the memory test? When I have just one memory stick in it is okay, it counts up to 128 three times and then proceeds. But with both in it counts to 256 and then reports that the memory test has failed?

I have tried each memory stick on its own, and in different slots and on their own they are okay.

Any ideas? Is this normal?

Fallyhag

Hello,

There are many types of memory Sdram,

ECC = Error Correction is used for servers

and there is also
PC100 - runs at 100 bus speed
PC133 - runs at 133 bus speed.
PC66 - runs at 66 bus speed.

If you plug a PC133 Ram into a 100 Bus speed system, it would work but if you plug a PC100 ram into a PC133 bus, it will not work...since the ram can't keep up with the system. Therefore it may be a good idea to check what type of ram u have...it should be written on your ram...by a sticker or something. ALso what type of ram is it? Who is the maker?

Hui

Emagine Solutions, Inc.

I have had a good look at the RAM in my MOBO and here is what I found:

The original memory:

PC100 222-620
G-7K 9521GV
GMM26416233 ENT

Written on the chips is:

Hyundai Korea
GM72V66841ET7K
9948 AG5

The memory that I added:

MSC 884 805
128MB SDRAM
PC100 NON-ECC

Written on the chips is:

Hyundai Korea
GM72V66841ET7K
0012 AG1

Now apart from the obvious this means nothing to me. Can anyone interpret this and maybe explain why I am getting a memory fail message. Right now I have just the original in place and it seems to be running fine, but I have 128MB just sitting on my bench.

Thanks for any help…

Fallyhag

Fallyhag I have just had RAM problems myself. I had 64MG and installed another 128MG both PC133. I have a Compaq computer and Compaq memory is made by Hyundai. Hyundai memory has a different (no/ns not sure which) speed than other memory. I tried several different brands of memory till I found one that was rated the same now I have 192MG.

Lynda

On the new memory is the dram chips on both sides or only on one side? So long and thanks for all the fish.

I have a few things to say. Boy!!!! Fallyhag, you sure have alotta problems. Are they for real? You seem kinda computer saaaavvvvvvy, are you testing the group? Another thing, i read someones reply above """IF it's a power problem your computer wouldn't even boot.""" That is so untrue, in some cases you can get into windows witha a bad power supply, but you may get blue screens, or even problem that may look like a bad cpu. Ive seen this in my computers store many times. People be carefull here, some of the people are somewhat educated, but do not trust everything you hear. Imagine 2 people in here telling ya "its a bad mobo", then you believe them, and go through the troubles of gettin a new mobo, and installing it, and it eneded up being the motherboard monitor program you were using in win98se? that is bad....

Sorry to say that my problems were very genuine indeed. Luckily the main problem is sorted and I have a better PC for it, however the RAM problem stays unresolved. To answer one query, yes there are chips on both sides.

Fallyhag

re format your hard drive and install windows95 then install windows98.The file it is looking for comes off of windows95,when installing windows98 it looks for that file.

hey i read your messages and am having the same exact problems on my computer... have you come up with any solutions?

Sorry to say but this problem required the services of the call out technician who came out promptly (thank you Fujitsu Siemens) and renewed the HDD, the CPU and then the MOBO. Needless to say the problem was sorted and I ended up with an upgraded PC at no cost to myself. Top tip: Extend your warranty!

:) Fallyhag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back